Hornby Pendolino

wrote

Thanks for that offer, have emailed you offline.
Cheers, Simon
Jane Sullivan wrote:

In the US they have remote control for yard locos so its not inconceivable that a driver of one train could control a switcher to take cars off of his train. Very unlikely to happen in practice though. Maybe one of the DCC manufactures could get a belt based controller the same as the operators in the US use to control their switchers.
Chris
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I am wondering what sort of batteries are used in the wireless command station, and how long they will last.
Admittedly TV remote control batteries last many months but they are not used continuously. I had wondered whether there was a recharging facility but I can see no evidence of one.
DW
"David Westerman" wrote

I have a wireless hand controller attached to my Lenz Compact and it uses standard AA rechargeable batteries.
I get several operating sessions between re-charges.
John.

Also, this thing has to have more than one IR transmitter to guarantee good signal distribution. Along with the LCD display and all the other electronics, it's going to eat batteries a lot faster than a TV remote.
Battery life aside, I think the IR link is the weakest point but we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
MBQ

I'm averse to too many components in one box as when one goes wrong the whole thing is out - same with TV, video, dvd combination boxes.
It means extra cables (locally) but a seperate module for wifi would be nice !
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Wi-fi is very power-hungry compared to IR and requires more processing power to handle the complex protocols. Some sort of DECT (digital cordless phone) based system might be better suited to this application.
Adrian
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I am wondering what sort of batteries are used in the wireless command station, and how long they will last.
DW
I never thought of that Dave ? I would have thought that powering the screen takes some "Juice" too if it is backlit. Look at PDF's etc. Lithium batteries are ok, but still have a life expectancy. OK so we can argue that Mobile phone batteries etc have improved, but again, the are not powering a lit display 24/7.
So what happened if the batteries die mid session ? How do you stop the train other than unplug the 3 pin from the mains ? Erm.....
Why infra red ? Would Bluetooth not have been better ? No line of sight and possibly a greater distance ?
Andy
Andy Sollis CVMRD said the following on 30/03/2007 10:44:

I wouldn't have thought a model railway controller would be on 24/7 either.

I would have assumed that if the receiver stopped getting a signal from the controller, all trains will stop. Wouldn't they? Surely they would...

Infra-red does seem a strange choice it has to be said. I'm not sure about Bluetooth either (I can just see hoards of mobile phones at exhibitions piping up when they detect something Bluetooth in the area!), but wireless transmission of some sort would have been better, I think.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
I said the following on 30/03/2007 12:06:

I meant RF transmission!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Paul Boyd wrote:

Batteries; I'm only interested in products where the batteries are fairly standard. If I can't get a spare in a few years time, I don't want the product. So, that makes rechargeable AA's (etc) the preferred choice.

Simple - cost. IR does the job adequately for most home installations. Anything else would have increased manufacturing costs.
For exhibition use I'd be a bit concerned about IR interference - other operators and stray light.
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Nigel Cliffe said the following on 30/03/2007 12:22:

Ditto - I've bought or advised on several digital cameras, and one criteria right near the top of the list is - can I bung in a set of Duracells in an emergency?

Perhaps I haven't really looked into the Bachmann site closely, but why have wireless remote at all for the "master" station? I can see the benefits for a handheld controller, but not this. Or is this lump meant to be handheld? Having said all that, if this lives up to the blurb I wouldn't let the fact that it's infra-red put me off.

Exactly. A shaft of bright sunlight in the wrong place isn't going to help things much.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
For exhibition use I'd be a bit concerned about IR interference - other

Exactly. A shaft of bright sunlight in the wrong place isn't going to help things much. Paul Boyd
I don't intend this reply in sarcasm or anything similar, so please don't take it that way, but, Do shafts of sunlight effect the TV/DVD/Radio remote in the house ? I have only ever found people, other unmovable objects and flat batteries to be a problem (Oh and using the TV remote to work the radio doesn't help either !)
Andy
Andy Sollis CVMRD said the following on 30/03/2007 22:44:

Er, yes! That's why I brought it up (no sarcasm taken or intended) At certain times of the day at certain times of the year the sun shines directly on the Freeview box, DVD Player and TV. I can't use the remote controls in this situation unless I stick it 6" in front of the sensor, which is hardly remote! This can be a pain because although I don't watch a lot of telly, the Freeview box also provides me with digital radio. If I do want to watch the telly then, I have to draw the curtains (so I can see the screen!)

I know that one! I have to stop and work out which combination of remotes I need when I do watch a DVD or video or telly :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Andy Sollis CVMRD wrote:

The pictures appear to show the LCD is NOT back-lit. So that's not an issue. The IR system is the lowest power consuption of any system they could have used.

Presumably you will be given plenty of warning and the system will stop everything before that becomes a possibility. I'm only guessing of course.

Blue-tooth will eat batteries far more quickly than IR. I've used IR headphones which have not required worked very well, with minor obstructions not causing any problems.
Adrian
"Adrian" wrote The pictures appear to show the LCD is NOT back-lit. So that's not an issue. The IR system is the lowest power consuption of any system they could have used.
Adrian
The sheet does say "Backlit screen". I assume were hoping there is an OFF switch to the back lit facility ?
Something I wish I had on my ZTC controller !
--
Andy Sollis
CVMRD Exhibition Manager, CVR Guide book Author & ST4L Webmaster

If it's anything like my ESU Mobile wireless controller, the LCD display will initially start to fade at which point it makes sense to stop everything and recharge (or replace) the batteries.
With my set up one would at that stage simply switch to the control knob on the Compact command centre to take over train operation.
John.

How is this a fundamental problem, most manufacturers would call it a feature ! Is it a requirement of NMRA standards that a decoder should implement that feature, cos if not then it may be argued that the other controllers are incorrect in describing this as an error !
Its a low feature decoder at a low price for people that want that !
Cheers, Simon
"simon" wrote

There are already similarly priced low-cost decoders on the market that have better features and which are genuinely NMRA compliant.
John.

But never heard that hornbys arent !
Cheers, Simon