Hornby Pendolino

Wi-fi is very power-hungry compared to IR and requires more processing power to handle the complex protocols. Some sort of DECT (digital cordless phone) based system might be better suited to this application.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The pictures appear to show the LCD is NOT back-lit. So that's not an issue. The IR system is the lowest power consuption of any system they could have used.

Presumably you will be given plenty of warning and the system will stop everything before that becomes a possibility. I'm only guessing of course.

Blue-tooth will eat batteries far more quickly than IR. I've used IR headphones which have not required worked very well, with minor obstructions not causing any problems.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

If it's anything like my ESU Mobile wireless controller, the LCD display will initially start to fade at which point it makes sense to stop everything and recharge (or replace) the batteries.

With my set up one would at that stage simply switch to the control knob on the Compact command centre to take over train operation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote >

For exhibition use I'd be a bit concerned about IR interference - other

Exactly. A shaft of bright sunlight in the wrong place isn't going to help things much. Paul Boyd

I don't intend this reply in sarcasm or anything similar, so please don't take it that way, but, Do shafts of sunlight effect the TV/DVD/Radio remote in the house ? I have only ever found people, other unmovable objects and flat batteries to be a problem (Oh and using the TV remote to work the radio doesn't help either !)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Adrian" wrote The pictures appear to show the LCD is NOT back-lit. So that's not an issue. The IR system is the lowest power consuption of any system they could have used.

Adrian

The sheet does say "Backlit screen". I assume were hoping there is an OFF switch to the back lit facility ?

Something I wish I had on my ZTC controller !

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

But at what cost ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

ROTFLMBO :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

My controllers have little knobs and switches on them, turn them one way and the train goes forwards, turn them the other and they go backwards. And of course they are 100% compatable with everything. :-)

(Actually after my last little rant I am seriously considering going down the DCC route with my NG stuff)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Hopefully its better than Dapol's which we had running on our exhibition layout at Warley the year it came out. A member also had a Hornby APT which you could see tilting and went much faster. The Pendo ran much slower and the tilt was not noticeable. Interesting to see a comparison of the APT v's the Hornby Pendo.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"simon" wrote

Well for starters the basic Dynamis has an RRP £50 cheaper than the Hornby Elite, and the Bachmann system has a whole host of superior features so if there is a need to add on, then there's some cash in the cupboard to start with.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wow, is the production version in the shops already, that is quick...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Like that, 'a whole host of superior features'. Are we sticking to the basic Dynamis system when you say that ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Just that only people with proper layouts with large radius curves should be allowed to own such a loco. Of course it cannot be run until has been renamed and renumbered.

(humour 'onest)

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Well for starters we're talking wireless control and genuine four digit addressing, railcom campatible etc., etc.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They've had forty years to close the gap. How much longer do they need?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Most of them will never be taken out their box so it hardly matters what radius they can negotiate.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

About minus forty years should bring them even!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Andy Sollis CVMRD said the following on 30/03/2007 22:44:

Er, yes! That's why I brought it up (no sarcasm taken or intended) At certain times of the day at certain times of the year the sun shines directly on the Freeview box, DVD Player and TV. I can't use the remote controls in this situation unless I stick it 6" in front of the sensor, which is hardly remote! This can be a pain because although I don't watch a lot of telly, the Freeview box also provides me with digital radio. If I do want to watch the telly then, I have to draw the curtains (so I can see the screen!)

I know that one! I have to stop and work out which combination of remotes I need when I do watch a DVD or video or telly :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Chris said the following on 31/03/2007 13:37:

Progress, huh? I bet the Hornby Pendolino passengers don't get sick or spill their drinks though :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

BR never got a chance to tune the APT before it was cancelled.

Chris

Reply to
Chris