Intersecting Slot Car Plus Train Set Equals Geek Toy

" If you’ve always dreamed of having your train set crossover with your slot car set, then dream no more. Hammacher Schlemmer has the
perfect (and expensive) toy for you. "
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/intersecting-slot-car-plus-train-set-equals-geek-toy-win-19-08-2010 /
Add pictures here
โœ–

Funny, my Minic Motorways set had that feature *in the mid-1960s*.
I had the RM928 double track crossing, as at the bottom of this page: http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/Minic/levelcrossing.htm
Add pictures here
โœ–

Faller to an HO truck guided by a wire just below the surface. It's a bit toy-like but people have used the mechanism in more detailed models - there was an article showing somebody doing this with an O-scale Morris Minor.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Was thinking exactly the same thing myself .Most of my trains were Tri-ang but I had a Wrenn Duchess. As this was a originally a Dublo tooled diecast metal Loco made it was heavy, The inevitable collision between the Greenline Routemaster meant that from that point it became a single decker.
G.Harman
Add pictures here
โœ–

Yup, my first trainset as a boy was bought for me by my parents from a family friend, came with loads of Mimic stuff, the level crossing you mention, a car loading ramp - which took a car directly on to a specially adapted wagon, all sorts ... and great fun.
--

All the best,

Chris

Add pictures here
โœ–

I have a feeling that the core market for model railways in 2010 is based around the very same people who played with Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo models in the 1950s and 60s. ;-)
My interest in railways, 1:1 and model, was based on my grandfather's interest. I don't think that the interest is handed down between generations in the same way today. Most kids are not remotely interested in trains.
Add pictures here
โœ–

I never had a train set as a boy. I am overcompensating now :-) Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk /
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed

Something tells me that you're probably in the same age group that we're discussing, though. ;-)
It's something I find quite depressing about model railway shows. There is a over-preponderance of older people, and the number of younger people coming in to the hobby doesn't appear to be enough to sustain it.
Obviously there are some young people, though. They must have been tempted in to the hobby by Thomas the Tank Engine. ;-)
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:08:24 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Not by a decade or more, I reckon.

Why is that a problem? Today they are playing Warhammer, building their modelling and painting skills on trolls, orcs and the like. One day they may well move onto railway modelling.

I think it's the ones who are into Warhammer and Airfix kits that will later make model railways, not those who are into train sets. But I could be wrong. Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk /
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
--
Martin S.

Add pictures here
โœ–

Nothing wrong with it at all. But my point is, they haven't been encouraged into the hobby by their relatives or peers, they have been tempted in by something they saw on television.
The days of large numbers of young trainspotters on railway station platforms have long gone. Those few that remain are often those who were trainspotters as kids in the 1960s and 70s - you only have to see them at Doncaster to realise that. Kids just aren't interested in railways to anything like the extent the kids of those days were.
That means there are probably fewer young people coming into this hobby of ours than for two generations.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 22/08/2010 04:56, Bruce wrote:
[...]

Well, of course not. They're just segmented worms, in often eye-straining colours, that move along with no obvious means of propulsion. A steam engine displays its works right where you can see them. You can't help but look. ;-)

True, and they want ready to run, not kits.
wolf k.
Add pictures here
โœ–

'ready to run' why find the space to lay tracks when your PC can do it for you ? No problems with dirty track or poor running loco's. Just download a new rolling stock etc. BUT it's not the same as putting a new loco from the shop / fair on the track for the first time or the satisfaction of getting a loco running again, sometimes with a little help from your internet friends, but again do children today get that sort of satisfaction ?
We needd some reliable cheap second hand or new RTR kit to keep the hobby going.
Chris
Add pictures here
โœ–

I agree with most of what you say, but I don't think all is lost, or that the hobby will disappear like the Oozelum bird in a puff of blue smoke.
--
Martin S.

Add pictures here
โœ–

of course I don't ;-) Seems most people are thinking that everyone comes in after a spell of trainspotting or at least an interest in real trains in their youth and that they will be interested only in what they saw in their younger days. However nowadays theres the preserved railways with the emphasis on pleasure travel and an excellent variety of trains. Its quite possible there are more youngsters interested in trains from these railways than there was in the olden days.
Cheers, Simon
Add pictures here
โœ–

I agree, all isn't lost, but model railways will become even more of a niche market than now.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Bruce wrote:

"Trainspotting" seems to be a peculiarly UK thing! Here in New Zealand we never had ABC books of numbers and I only ever meet one boy who noted down engine numbers - he was a new immigrant from the UK. At my local station (circa 1961) there was only one train in the hour after school - it went south, shunted the local freezing works and returned half an hour later. I used to meet it at the level crossing quite regularly after school and always waved to the driver - one day he waved me into the cab (Ab Pacific) and I did the round trip to the works and back.
Just to stay on topic - we have a fair number of railway modellers here in NZ!
Greg.P. NZ
Add pictures here
โœ–

Perhaps obsessive behaviour is more readily tolerated in the UK? In other developed countries, it would be seen as a sign of mental illness that needed treatment. ;-)

That must have been fun! I was an adult before I got on the footplate of a locomotive that was in steam. But from about 14 onwards, I was a regular visitor to signalboxes and began taking photos of trains.

Good to hear that. Is the average age getting older? Is there a market in NZ ready-to-run trains? I ask because the narrow gauge must complicate things somewhat.
Add pictures here
โœ–

SNIP ....

Its no use Greg, they insist the only way into the hobby is :- Parent/Uncle/Grandparent was a driver or fireman. Became trainspotters at early age after holiday travel on train Packed in to marry Restarted after children left home
remember when Tont wright used to review new models, the first 3rd of the article would be his experience of seeing them so as to establish his credentials.
I only have rumour of great uncle was driver on Master Cutler (shame of LNER) so I'm out. You are foriegn (sorry but cant be helped)
Cheers, Simon
Add pictures here
โœ–

My 5 yo grandson has always been fascinated with anything that runs on wheels, including trains. He observed that he and I are interested in the same thing.
And I see lots of kids of both genders at local model rail shows.
--
Martin S.

Add pictures here
โœ–