L.M.S. "layout:

yeah...... like the man said.......... workman's trains !!!!!!!!!!

cheers david a.pritchard

David E. Belcher wrote:

Reply to
Derbyducks

In message , David E. Belcher writes

Best place for them, if you ask me.

Reply to
John Sullivan

What was that wallpaper factory in Gosport? That had a siding ISTR

Up on the Meon valley there was a Timber yard with sidings. I have a Maddening feeling that Knowle hospital had a siding.

Other ones around Southampton Eling Wharf Branch serving the tar works and the Timber yard,and for a short period in the eighties Redland tile terminal. Chapel tramway owned by the industries it served. Corrals wharf line ,still steam for a few years after you and the Bullieds left the area The line that ran down to the scrapyard via Southern televisions car park. Southampton Power station with its little electric loco with Trolley pole. ( good question for a railway quiz,When did Southampton get its first electric train? most will give an answer about 1967 )

Netley hospital had its own line though it would before your period. Hamble Oil terminal with the line skirting the airfield. Still intact but not used.

just a few of the top of my head G.harman

Reply to
g.harman

"MartinS"

That's right Martin, I'm a Westcoaster. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"g.harman"

Was that the one opposite Central station?

From recent photos I've seen, the site is now occupied, in par.t by Toys R Us?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Speaking of which, was it fairly common for lesser city-centre stations to handle perishables (destined, say, for market halls) and other traffic in vans in the passenger platforms if there wasn't a sizeable goods yard? This certainly used to happen at Manchester Mayfield (where passenger traffic actually played second fiddle to parcels, fruit & veg, etc.), and Birmingham Moor Street springs to mind as another *possible* example. Reason for asking is that I'm contemplating building a small-space city-centre terminus layout [1] (having been deprived of a layout for a while due to PhD committments, etc.), and any potential track plan wouldn't have room for a huge goods yard, but it would be nice to have a bit of freight traffic (mainly so that I wouldn't have to sell my 9F and 8F!).

David E. Belcher

[1] Yes, I could always go for a branch-line layout, but the only vaguely branch-sized locos I have are a 4F and a pair of 2-6-4Ts; I don't intend to part with my EE Type 4 and Rebuilt Scot!
Reply to
David E. Belcher

westcoaster ....... must be a beach boy !

cheers david a. pritchard

Roger T. wrote:

Reply to
Derbyducks

Thats the one ,though Central was West back then and Blechynden in its early days. Power station line ran into siding up to Tunnel entrance.

And Ironically by a geothermal well head for District heating,though the water was not as hot as hoped for and has to be boosted.

Also ironic is that though that power station has been obliterated bits of its predeccessor are still visible. Any one using the rough NCP car park in Back of the walls will see that the wall at the back still has white interior tiling attached to it. G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

It did

And a secure unit for the Broadmoor overspill....~1Km from me...

Niel.

PS the FADMRC show today was good, back tommorow with the boys, having had time for a proper look today!

Reply to
sue.fagan

Yep, and we did go today as well, costly visit and SWTSMBO isn't happy, the boys and I however.... Niel, with a few more projects!

Reply to
sue.fagan

"g.harman" >

Sanderson

Did it? It was certainly just beside the Gosport line but close to the triangular junction. Its just off the map on the "Branch lines of Gosport" book - so I can't see.

Sydenhams?

groan.

Now posh houses.......

Ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Bother - that was today?

i was getting used to ng announcements and had stopped getting the magazines......

And, i know, its probably on mutleys site. But unless you are expecting a birthday, you don't look at the birthday calendar do you?

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Yes Soberton running modern is different, there is talk of the club building a second 00 layout, into which the West Meon bridge could be incorperated, one for steam, one modern. Chatted with the Canalside op's for a while, very interesting. I gather Haylings for sale, not into N, so no problem there.

I was a bit miffed I'd missed the A4 passing through at lunchtime, still you can't do it all.....

Niel.

Reply to
sue.fagan

niel wrote

Our lunch time guest cancelled (a premature labour apparently..........) so

3 yr old and i went after all. I was tempted by the dapol sound box thing - but it was only in "diesel running" so i ducked. the bookshop didn't have "Mainline diesels" which i have been told to get next so that saved me £30. I wanted a green 08 but decided not to, discussed it with SWmightbeobeyedsometime and was told i had more than would fit on the layout as it was......... Sigh

Surprised to see Soberton running "modern" - and that bridge is better out of the museum case. 3yr old is getting more sophisticated - he got quickly bored with the big Thomas (he normally watches that for ages) and the highlight of his trip was Canalside (with the crocodile in the lock and the dragonfly and bear) although he has seen it before. Last time i saw "N" Hayling I thought it was pretty good - now i know that it should be Terriers it seemed all wrong.......... eek - i'm not turning into a pedant am i?

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

We were going fine until you mentioned PO wagons! =8^O

I'm building a general goods train in HO - it will be pulled by an L&Yand/or LMS loco. Should I be building PO wagons for the train in addition to wagons of the main railways?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

HO or OO?

But the answer is "Yes". You have to consider the economics - it was cheaper for the collieries and coal merchants to buy or lease their own wagons than to use the railway company's vehicles. They could spend a lot of idle time both at the coal merchant or the pit - which the company would have charged them for.

And having paid for them, they put their own advertisements on them.

You would rarely see a train of single private owner wagons for different merchants. Usually there would be several together for the same merchant.

And because the country ran on coal, it was a major source of traffic. Factories, electricity, town gas, railways and shipping all ran on it.

Then there were the by-products: coke, tar and others I've forgotten. Which were also transported by rail. Coke was lighter than coal, and was carried in different vehicles looking like regular coal wagons with raised wooden railings to increase the capacity (volume). Tar was shipped in tank wagons.

Your general goods (do you mean pick up goods?) would drop off coal wagons at the various stations with yards, and pick up the empties. But there would probably also be a through coal train and a reverse empty working, if your layout is any other than a branch line.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Gregory Procter

I would recommend building both, just to provide a change.

I would have a mixture of different types of railway company covered vans in one train, with a rake of PO mineral wagons in the second. Have all of your PO wagons from a single owner, but weather them all quite heavily in a different manner for each wagon. I promise you, it will look really good!

Note, this is a recommendation and it is what I have on my own layout. Whether is is prototypically correct, I couldn't say, but it does provide a lot of interest.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Christopher A. Lee"

Dyestuffs, paint pigments, pharmaceuticals are some.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Last weekend I crossed the border to attend a train show in Rochester NY. I didn't buy anything, but it was refreshing to see some different layouts. The main HO layout was a long, narrow oval; the entire rolling stock was coal hopper wagons - one 2-loco lashup was pulling 77 empties. On one side of the layout a coal mine was modelled; scale coal was transported up an enclosed conveyor and down a vertical chute into wagons, on a slowly-moving train. When the train was loaded, it proceeded (after a few circuits of the layout) to a coal-fired power station on the opposite side. A mechanised system propelled the wagons, uncoupled them one at a time and emptied the coal by rotating them upside-down over a chute. I'm not sure how they got the coal back to the mine for the next train, but it was fascinating to watch.

Reply to
MartinS

HO. :^)

Most of the photos of goods stock around 1923 seem to be goods yards rather than trains on the line. (I'm continually amazed that whenever I want specific details they never seem to appear in the photos I have, and yet I could swear I've seen myriad photos of goods trains etc etc :-)

The goods yard photos bear that out.

I just want a "normal" British goods train to trundle around my German layout once in a while. Not that British goods trains ever trundled across the South German countryside - more, light relief/comparison/broader interest in railways/ancestry.

I started by rebuilding a Lima LMS 4F, added Class 33 (dual motored, detailed) LMS 2P, Fleischmann Warship, several rakes of rebuilt MK 1 coaches, rebuilt Lima wagons, scratch built wagons, L&Y High flyer under construction ... No, I'm not a British modeller ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter