L.M.S. "layout:

Uhh ohh! I can feel a train coming on!

Anybody know if there were any "Parker" or "Parkinson" PO wagons in the Bradford area? Both families were woolen mill owners in Bradford until around 1890 and 1920 respectively.

I've made a few PO wagons by scanning and reducing the Peco card kits, using a second print to provide the strapping etc.

It would be nice to have "family" PO wagons! "Procter" is another possibility - something to do with iron production somewhere in the vicinity of Bradford. (my concept of "in the vicinity" might vary from yours)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Gregory Procter

That sounds interesting.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hmmm, I need to actually get on with the job rather than spending time searching for more details :-(

"Procrastinate NOW"

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter"

I'm going to stop procrastinating one day.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I'm going to stop procrastinating - tomorrow!

One of these days I'll send you a round tuit.

Reply to
MartinS

I'm thinking about thinking about it tomorrow.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , Gregory Procter writes

You could have fooled me!

Aren't you going to have trouble with your British trains running on the left-hand track meeting your German trains running on the right-hand track?

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Gregory Procter writes

You mean, like "Australia is in the vicinity of New Zealand"?

Reply to
John Sullivan

French trains run on the left-hand track - the Eurostar doesn't cross over in the middle of the Chunnel. So what do French trains do when they get to the German border? Or do all European trains run on the left?

North American mainline trains usually run on the right-hand track where there are two, but often cross over when the station platform is on the other side (so passengers don't have to walk across the track). At passing loops on single track they usually use the left-hand track.

Reply to
MartinS

Actually, not all French trains run on the left-hand track, for example the Métro runs on the right IIRC.

And in any case, many double-track lines these days are signalled for bidirectional running on both tracks.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"MartinS"

Not quite correct on sidings (passing loops) Martin.

The siding (Passing loop) in North America can be either on the left or the right side of the main track. There is no "keep Right" (Or left) rule for sidings. The superior train, by class and direction, will (usually) "hold the main" track, while the inferior train will (usually) "take the siding".

The track on many a siding (Passing loop) is usually of a much lower standard, and elevation, than the main track and (usually) must be run over at restricted speed (10mph). The main track is (usually) better maintained than the siding as is the straight side of the switch/turnout/points.

Out side of CTC, many passing sidings are unsignalled and there is no interlocking. The crew of the train entering the siding must unlock the padlock securing the switch, run their train into the siding and realign the switch for the mainline and repadlock it.

On leaving the siding, usually at the other end, but not always, the crew must unpadlock the switch and align it for the siding, draw their train forward onto the main line and, when the tail end of the train is clear of the switch, realign the switch for the main line and repadlock it before continuing.

A somewhat lengthy process, especially since the demise of the van (Caboose).

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Same here. Commuter and Metro lines have separate platforms with pedestrian bridges or subways, but many mainline stations have only track-height platforms with no pedestrian bridges.

Trying to remember which side Paris Metro trains run on - anyway they're separate from the mainline system. The suburban trains that run under central Paris are very nice to ride on.

Reply to
MartinS

I knew you'd correct me if I was wrong, Roger.

It must be a lengthy process for 100+ car freight trains.

I am amazed at the labour intensiveness of Canadian railway operations. On intercity VIA trains (of 1950s refurbished stainless steel cars or

1970s/80s LRC cars), doors must be individually opened by an attendant, who also lifts a flap to access the steps. The attendant gets off with a portable step and assists passenger off and on. Wheelchairs are lifted on or off by a type of hand-powered fork lift. The new GEnesis P42 locos are in service, but the matching ALSTOM Renaissance passenger cars purchased from European Nightstock Services have been delayed because, I believe, they don't satisfy handicap access requirements.

Near my house, there are 2 CN tracks and 1 CP track (CTC) with frequent fast freights day and night, plus the VIA passenger trains. Whistling at level crossings in the town was suspended recently, but some late-night freight drivers still like to wake up the whole town.

Reply to
MartinS

In article , John Sullivan wrote: track.

Phil: As in Belgium (also originally built by British Engineers: The Mainline Trains (not sure about new TGV lines) run on the left, and TRAM or TRAM derived services which may have run on the road naturally run on the right. The METRO services, either because they are independant from the mainline network. or because at some time some part of the network was Tram derived, runs on the right??

(In Brussels there is a station with multiple vertical levels, near the EU building, which is 'trains' underground on one level, and trams / metro lines on others - I found it confusing deciding which platform I wanted to be on until I saw what type of train came in 8-)

Reply to
Phil

In article , Enzo Matrix writes

What you do in the privacy of your own railway room .......

OK for colliery to port transporting steam coal for export ie in South Wales (but see "Fremlington" paragraph).

Otherwise the PO wagon's journey would be in three parts:

colliery to marshalling yard;

then between marshalling yards as a mineral train (these are where one sees photos of a P1 or Garratt and about 2 PO wagons, and there are another 80 odd unrecorded wagons behind;

then marshalling yard to industry or local station - at this stage it would be attached to the local pick-up goods.

Each train would be a mix of colliery, factor's and merchant's wagons.

But a lot of mineral traffic went by canal or coaster. That's one reason why power stations were on navigable rivers. Also the economics meant that even house coal could be partially transported by sea. A lot of West Country house coal went by sea to Fremlington Quay then transhipped to PO wagons (Renwick Wilton & Dobson, etc ) or the Southern Railway's own 8 plankers for an ultimate destination in Devon or Cornwall.

Reply to
John Bishop

Gregory Procter

I seem to have the opposite problem. I do the research at quite a leisurely pace, but once I start building I become obsessed! I will sit for hours on end, concentrating on the model - sometimes I forget to go to bed! I'm currently working on the Gibson "Austin Seven". I started last weekend and the model is just about ready for its first coat of primer!

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I'm too busy fooling myself. ;-)

I'm also busy laying my main line with bi-directional computer controlled progressive cab control - it's never boring here on wet afternoons!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Exactly. I'll explain: I live in Takaka - well, it's 5 km away and has a population of 1500 (counting itinerants, stray dogs and the odd chook) The next town is 50Km =

1 hours drive over the "hill" (about twice the height of Britains tallest mountain and I'm only counting the road) Nelson (the big city, 30,000 pop) is another hour's drive on and has a "model shop" where I can buy "RM", "MRJ" and "CM" and a small cabinet with one each Hornby, Athearn and Bachmann locos. Another 400 Km down the road is Christchurch. (pop 300,000) That's still "in the vicinity". Hey, at least I don't live in Australia where they measure distances to town in days! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

They cross over.

Most run on the right. The French like to keep their sword hands free in case they meet and English. ;-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Err, I'm modelling German railways in the 1920s and bi-directional running was in use then!

Reply to
Gregory Procter