looking for Rivarossi locos

Anyone got any Rivarossi Italian locos Ho or O that they want to depart with? old wrecks for parts also welcome. will buy or exchange for UK locos that I have in my collection.

delboy

In message , delboy writes

Not from me, I've got four, two A.C. and two D.C. and they're up there with the likes of Fleischmann, Marklin etc. Makes all the Hornby stuff look stupid and amateurish.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

I haven't got any either.

Let's see though, what manufacturers can I rubbish while I'm here....

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

I've got a couple of old Rivarossi steamers, nice models, but their zinc based die casting alloy frames are now crumbling away, so they're slowly disintegrating. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

"Clive Coleman" wrote

Can't say I've ever been impressed with Rivarossi. Always reminded me of Italian cars - they can look superb but are not particularly reliable. And I couldn't get rid of my Italian Moto Guzzi motorcycle quickly enough.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Rivarossi Royal Scot is certaily better than Hornby;

and as for cars, well Rover are nightmares to re sell in Europe, Jags, RR, Ford,and Bently are german so they dont count, a Lotus one can sell

kettles colling pots black?

"John Turner" ha scritto nel messaggio news:d3te74$4rk$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net...

Reply to
cest la vie

"cest la vie" wrote

That's very much a matter of opinion. The Rivarossi Scot had crude valve gear and wasn't a patch on the current Hornby Black 5.

What's that lot got to do with Italian cars?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I've had both Lima and Rivarossi and whilst both are made by the same firm, there no comparison between the two. Lima ore all plastic whilst chassis and motor and gearing are all metal in the Rivarossi range.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

"Clive Coleman" wrote

And I specifically avoid adding Rivarossi USA outline steam locomotives to my roster because they run so badly.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Never tried one but I would suspect anything for the Merkin market as being built down to a price instead of up to a quality.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

LOL! Boy are YOU off-base!

You ought to take a look at the latest offerings from Kato (their modern diesels set the standard... and all DCC ready), Atlas (wonderful little Shay steamer), Lifelike (a big articulated steamer), even Bachmann (a smooth running Consolidation).

... and I'm talking N scale!

By comparison, the British outline stuff is still stuck in the 1970,s mechanically. Detail-wise... ever read the builder's plate on an N scale steamer? Or the safety warnings on a diesel?

Reply to
Joe Ellis

"Clive Coleman" wrote

They've *never* been cheap, but the quality has never been particularly good, and I'd suggest that virtually all USA outline ready-to-run mass produced steam outline from other manufacturers (Broadway Limited excluded) leave Rivarossi for dead.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Clive Coleman"

And you base this wonderfully assumption on???????????

The "Merkin" market has always had rtr and simple to assemble "kit" models that are far, yes far superior to any UK similar products in the UK. It's only in the past few years, may be five or so, that UK rtr models have come close to what's available to us in North America.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Yes I had a Rivarossi FEF with a centipede tender for a time. All those wheels and only 4 with pickups! ...and one of those had a traction tyre! Ridiculous.

Quite a looker though.

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs