Mike Sharman wheelsets

To take my mind of the shellacking that the Wannabies just received off NZ at Rugby, I am trying to track down the details of Mike Sharman's wheel availability in P7 (or P48) for a New South Wales Z19 class that I am interested in building to Proto Seven (or Proto48) standards.

That's the broad picture, now some addenda.

At this stage, I do not know what the "standard" O scale is for Australian stuff. I shall further enquire on aus.rail.model.

No, I do not (at this stage) now either the diameter or number of spokes for the drivers on these little 0-6-0's. See point above about finding out later.

Clicking onto

brings up a warning page giving access to owner/webmaster only. Is there a problem here?

Finally, are there any other wheel manufacturers in the UK that make "fine scale" O scale wheels?

A complete and concise reply will have me barracking for the team of the replier's country in the upcoming Rugby World Cup. Well, why not. At the moment, my mob couldn't beat time with a stick!

TIA

Steve Magee sjmageeATyahooDOTcom

Reply to
Steve Magee

Steve,

before you get hanged drawn and quartered, the exact scale 7mm standard is called Scale7 or S7 for short. It has been on the go for over 30 years and has an active group in support of it.

Slaters is probably the 7mm scale equivalent of Sharman for driving wheel supplies.

There's Alan Gibson's range as well

These wheels are usually only available in 7mm Fine standard and need to be re-profiled for Scale7. The Scale7 Group can arrange for wheels to be re-profiled, or can supply a profile tool if you want to do it yourself. There is a rumour that Slaters might consider providing some of their range with a Scale7 tyre profile but nothing definite seems to have happened so far. Rolling stock wheels are available off the shelf from Slaters with Scale7 profile.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Well, if you want decent odds, go for Scotland :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

G'day, The Wallabies have been playing to get better odds for the world cup.

Beware the sleeping Marsupials. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

Have you been attending the "Eddie Jones University of Rugby Coaching"? In particular, Pathetic & Feeble Excuses 101? Eddie himself teaches this course...

But enough of Rugby, back to trains! :)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Richard,

Just giving good unbiased help. The way England are playing, you ain't going to get any decent odds. The way Scotland are playing , you could get 1000 to 1 :-)

I've actually been looking at re-vamping the whole site to change its direction. In my business life, things have changed so much over the past year or so that I really don't have all that much time for modelling - probably a few hours on a Sunday each week if other domestic matters don't impinge. So work on the Midland layout has virtually ground to a halt in the meantime. But I have been doing other things in Scale7 and S which will show a quicker return on my limited time, and maybe the site should encompass them to show that my modelling life is not completely moribund :-)

I've also got myself a half decent digital camera and have been out and about with the grandson using it - with a Scot's congenital disregard for the law of trespass :-)

Jim,.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Possibly. I placed an order before Christmas 2002. To cut a long story short, after six months of letters, emails and answer machine messages, with no responses whatsoever, I finally wrote cancelling the order. By this stage, I felt that the cancellation was somewhat academic.

I haven't heard that Sharman are no longer trading, and wouldn't wish to imply that. If anyone does know anything, I would be genuinely interested to know, on- or off-group. Maybe I've missed some kind of announcement in the model press.

Just before their website went off-line, I noticed that the last "announcement" related to a virus causing problems, but that was February

2002, ie 16 months ago.

They only did 4mm scale wheels to my knowledge anyway - others have posted regarding 7mm wheels.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I was aware of this, but it is well worth pointing out. To me, the poor level of customer service at Sharman Wheels is a shame, and I would hope that people don't incorrectly associate this with Mike Sharman. For Steven Hodgson to not even have the courtesy of replying to any of my many and varied attempts to progress an order is unforgiveable bad manners, and does the whole model railway "small trader" business no good whatsoever. Even a reply along the lines of "Sorry, no mail order - exhibitions only." would have been something.

Having got that off my chest, does anyone have a list of Sharman wheels? I am glad to know that they are still apparently available at some exhibitions, but I chucked out the paper list ages ago, instead relying on his website. The website that is now off-line....

Paul Boyd

Reply to
Paul Boyd