Model Rail Scotland 2004

Did anyone attend Model Rail Scotland 2004 in the SECC in Glasgow over the weekend? If so, what layouts did you like best and why?

Manxcat

Reply to
Manxcat

I was very taken by the N gauge layouts particularly Falkirk (refubished) and Perth (very unexpected) and one other which was very good.

A very good show and in a nice sized hall. with plenty of the supply trades.

Yoda

Reply to
Yoda

I was impressed with Etton. Went looking for a green deltic (Bachmann), only one stallholder had one left on the Saturday and he wanted £70-something for it!!! Greedy little wheasle from Banff is all I can say! It wasn't there an hour later so no doubt someone was foolish enough to pay that much over the odds. Guess I'll just go back to e-bay and find a Lima version. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yes, Etton definitely got my vote. Lots of loving care obviously went into the buildings and scenery. I was particularly impressed by the arch of the overbridge, its profile composed from arcs of three circles (if you get what I mean).

The colouring of the scenery was very well done, too. It somehow managed to give the impression that the scene was bathed in sunshine.

Scarborough was highly impressive as well.

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

It was an experience for me on Saturday, I was in Falkirk sorting out some family business so I decided rather than drive into the city, get lost, struggle to park and pay through the nose when I did finally find my way there and find a space, I'd "let the train take the strain"!!!! OMIGOD, what a mistake that was! Train from Falkirk to Glasgow was ok, Queen st station smells strange, a bit like the soap works that used to exist next to Warrington Bank Quay Stn. I then "risked life and limb" on a shuttle bus to Central stn, then found my way ok to the low-level station, by following my nose again, except this time the smell was of something dire! On the busy platform were 3 kids about

12 or 14, sitting with a larger version of a normal cigarette machine rolling a joint about 6" long quite openly in front of anyone who cared. One produces a bag, again quite openly, and proceeds to add some of the dried vegetation from within to the joint!!! What is the world coming to? How can they do that so openly, where are their parents (and do they know), why has society allowed this to happen in the first instance? Ok, so the train was cheaper than running the car into the city and parking, but it was in no way a more relaxing journey. I think from now on the only trains I'll be getting on are on preserved lines, preferably the Bo'ness railway behind a lovely 4MT. Other than that I'll stick to models in my loft. Sorry if I ranted on a bit there. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

.........snip

Similar thing happened to me on holiday last year on train from Nice to Monte Carlo except that they were Italian youngsters.

Guess it happens all over the place.

Central Low Level is a sub-surface and therefore no-smoking area.

Guess the people were not monitoring the camera pictures.

Reply to
Yoda

I suppose you're right, I just happen to live in an area (Elgin, Northern Scotland) where thankfully it's not become openly acceptable, yet! Yes, there is a drug problem but it's not openly visible.

Yep, plenty of signs, didn't see them light up, only making it.

Guess they probably don't get paid enough to care, unfortunately. Ah well, back to models. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The message from "Badger" contains these words:

Waddya mean "Used to"??? It's still there!

Reply to
David Jackson

Ta Dave, not been there since 1982 so unaware of it's current status hence the past tense. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The message from "Badger" contains these words:

It's been considerably smartened up since then and is painted purple and white (IIRC - it was still dark when I was there on Monday morning at silly o'clock). The smell hasn't been smartened up...

Reply to
David Jackson

Does anyone know if anyone produces unpainted 'teenagers with splifs' in

4mm?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas