Model Railways On-Line Magazine

Got to say that I agree with you, I don't like reading large text files on line, I much prefer to sit back on the settee and browse through a magazine/article. What makes Mr Plowman's efforts different from the majority of stuff on the web is that it's worth printing out - colour and high resolution to boot.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Rod and others,

The purpose of the magazine is to be a magazine just like any mag that you might buy off the shelf. The difference is that this one is downloadable whenever you want it, you can print it if you wish or you can view it once you've downloaded it. In order to do this, we chose the PDF format because it enables us to provide a fully formatted document in a final format that isn't going to change like a web page will. The use of PDF is very common as a mechanism for distributing documents and this is what we have done. We do not propose to make a web page version at this stage - it takes us long enough to produce the current version! Additionally, web page versions cannot be printed off in one go and quite frankly, they look very unprofessional for the sort of thing we are trying to achieve. Not only that, if we did it that way, the other camp (who are by far the majority) would complain about having to print off additional pages instead of one document. Sorry folks, we haven't got the time to do it both ways!

Graham Plowman

Rod Furey wrote:

Reply to
gppsoftware

Thanks Rod.

To be perfectly honest, we really don't know which systems are affected and which are not and we really have no way of finding out short of buying multiple PCs and installing every version of Windows and Adobe in different combinations - which we can't possibly do. We have received a few messages from people which we have used to display a generic message based on what people have told us. We can only advise what we know. It is simply impossible to test for every single configuration potential readers might have because we don't know what they are. We also have to assume that people have some knowledge of their systems. At the end of the day we have to advise people to ensure that they have the latest version of Adobe and Windows to eradicate any problems. If people choose to do otherwise and experience problems, there is not much we can do - sorry!

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

The message from Jim Flynn contains these words:

At the risk of being cast as an AOL user, I totally agree with the above. Many thanks Mr Plowman.

Reply to
Colin Reeves

Personally I think the mag is excellent. All thats needed now is for Hornby, Bachmann etc to send them some products for review. That way we might at last get an honest opinion! Mike H

Reply to
jimedvic

Yes, but you'd only get it once unless the product is genuinely above criticism (most unlikely unless I missed out on entry to the perfect world)...8^)

Reply to
Michael Walker

Mike H. wrote:-

The latest edition contains an excellent review of the Class 50 as supplied by Hornby, warts and all.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"jimedvic" wrote

If you're looking for *honest reviews* on locos, then take a look at the write up of the Bachmann Class 40 in the first issue of MRM (Modern Railway Modelling).

An altogether interesting magazine for the ever increasing band of diesel & electric era modellers.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

Oddly no mention of the Class 40 on Nigel Burkin's own web site. I am guessing any criticism is much the same as for the Class 20 ie: no lighting, little bogie side frame detail, wrong type of ventilator grille, etc all of which I can live with. You'd think some enterprising manufacturer would make alternative bogie side frames for recent Bachmann releases?

(kim)

Reply to
kim