New Bachmann releases

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I don't like this era numbering thing. I certainly don't need to be told which loco to run with which coaches - and if I did need to be told, then I probably wouldn't care. What's up with buying a few books and doing some research.

It's all arbitrary anyway, even the Big 4 era (1923-1947) easily falls into four periods (early pre-WW2, late pre-WW2, WW2 & post-WW2) with loads of interchange between them. The most modern era (post-privatisation) is so fluid that I defy anyone to classify it into anything meaningful.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Greg.Procter" wrote

I doubt it somehow; they're pretty few and far between these days and I suspect that most of the nice examples are firmly stowed away in the cupboards of serious collectors - bless 'em! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For impulse purchases and those times when we just have to buy something - usually a way out of period wagon :-) Presume manufacturer has done the research so why not print it on box..

Only a quibble as for LMS I'd match it to the various CME's. Ignoring Lemon/Fairburn and merge WW2 and post WW2 as Ivatt.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Two very distinct eras as far as I'm concerned. Virtually everything overhauled during WW2 came out in drab unlined black, but as soon as the War was over new & fairly imaginative embellishments started to appear.

That's why it's so VERY difficult to categorise eras.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Agree completely cos very much a personal choice. I would say although they started to appeaar they didnt get as far as bulk of locos as nationalisation loomed. Now theres an interesting period. In fact if it wasnt for my liking of LNWR locos would definately be tempted by WW2 and very early BR as a first choice. All the good LMS engines plus a real variety of colours. Still got the PO wagons but can mix and match companies in single train. Presume lots of intercompany workings if you like the odd 'other company' stock.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Don't we have enough 108 models? I'd like to see a class 142 or similar.

Reply to
James Goode

In Somerset and Dorset days the spacing of the letters "SDJR" on the tender indicated where the locomotive has last been overhauled and painted. I am ptretty sure that if the letters were closely spaced then the work had been done at Derby, if widely spaced then Highbridge was repsonsible. Many years ago the "Railway Modeller" had drawings of the 7F's and illusrated the tender painting styles. This is also borne out by "Fowler Locomotives" by Brian Haresnape; page 25 shows No 80 (first of the class) at Derby Works with close letters. It may also be worth noting that, in S&DJR days, the

2-8-0's were classed as "5P5G" and became "7F" under the LMS. A few other "quirks": the first six (Nos 80 to 85) were right hand drive with steam reversing gear, they originally had lips on the chimney but these were removed to prevent them fouling the ventilators in Radstock shed; the tender-cabs were removed in 1919/20 as they caused draughts on the footplate and cab roofs were later extended backwards. The second batch (Nos 86 to 90) had the larger boiler, left hand drive, screw reversers but no tender cab. No 89 was the first of this batch to receive the G9AS (smaller) boiler after being badly damaged in a 1929 accident, No 90 was re-boliered at about this time also. the remainder of the second batch were not reboilered until 1953 - 1955. Once Stanier was CME of the LMS the original Fowler chimneys were replaced by Stanier's design, the brakes on the leading pony truck were removed (there had, apparently, been instances of the leading wheels tending to lift off the rails if the brakes didn't release properly), the driving wheel size was increased by re-tyring from 4' 7 1/2" to 4' 8 1/2" diameter and standard LMS type sliding firebox doors were fitted. There were also several changes to the sanding arrangements on these engines while the earlier batch had taller cab roof ventilators than the latter. The locomotives, originally numbered 80 to 90, became 9670 to 9680 in 1930, 13800 to 13810 in 1932 and finally 53800 to 53810 in 1948. Livery was always plain black, only the numerals and insignia ever varying in style and size.

I hope this is useful, apologies for the length of this but there were - apparently - quite a lot of differences at one time or another in this quite small class.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Very useful warning - get your photo first ! but would say quite typical set of changes for an LMS loco.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

And proof that there is indeed a God

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Would that be the same Kirdon that made a model of the LMS diesels,

10000 & 10001?

Remember cabbing one of them at a Willesden Open Day.................

DC

Reply to
dc

Did you not notice the class 350 emu?

Quite interesting for those of us who model eletric traction, rather than kettles.......

Also, easily modified by a modeller or manufacturer into a S.W. Trains

450, & with a little more work, a NEXEA or Heathrow Connect 260!

DC

Reply to
dc

wrote

I did eventually, but too modern for my needs.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

Indeed, and that was an equally crude rendering.

Many years ago I bought what I thought was a Kirdon 10,000 at a toy fair in Northampton, but eventually I found out that it wasn't and might well have neem produced by (or for) Bonds - from memory it was made from nickel-silver or tinplate and was quite a superb model.

Some years later a Kirdon 10,000 and Derby Lightweight DMU went through my hands, and both were extremely disappointing.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

Aye, and maybe like the AL5s he was made in Yorkshire! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ditto. Was hoping for an AM10 (Class 110) to match the period of the AL5/Class 85. Would even have settled for an AM4/Class 104.

Still, any first generation AC electric is better than none.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Still no 0-4-0 in the range or industrial loco of any kind except for the starter sets.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'm sure you mean AM10 (class 310) and AM4 (class 304).

Reply to
sutartsorric

Well, I've always thought of God as a bit like a Dales farmer. Just as approachable, and just as social.

Reply to
bobharvey

Yes, thanks for the correction :o)

(kim)