"Chris Wilson" wrote

Nicely put! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You mean not f*rting?

Reply to
Tessy

I wonder why the opinionated know-alls are often wowsers as well?

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

My Scots Dialect Dictionary (well thumbed as my other half hails from northern parts) defines a "numpty" as a fool or idiot. You'll come across it if you read Ian Rankin novels, amongst others, for example "Numpty TV" referring to typical Saturday night, dumbed down, TV.

Another interesting Scottish word I did consider pressing into service was "tollie" which means excrement. Curiously my dictionary also has the very similarly pronounced "toalie" which is "a small round cake of any type of bread" - I'm always *very* careful when ordering food north of Carlisle ;-)

-- Steve Jones, Shropshire, England

Reply to
Steve Jones

LOL! You want to be careful in that case!

Both words are delightful examples of the language.

Now just to clarify matters, is it Mutley or Stirrat whom you regard as a numpty?

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

You must frequent different pubs, could you give us directions? Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I must admit to not swimming against the tide of public opinion in this instance ;-)

-- Steve Jones, Shropshire, England

Reply to
Steve Jones

LOL! Very diplomatic!