OK

Who is going to be the first to model a bloke bringing a pony out of a lift & trying to get on a train?

I reckon you could make a bloke and a pony follow a magnet under the platform, but how would you get it to turn round & go back?

bobharvey

Try search on Michael Bentine.

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Presumably you will mount your pony on a bit of clear plastic so it will slide along(?)* The magnet on the above board part extends ahead by (say) 5-6mm. When the under-baseboard mechanisim/magnet reverses, the pony will do a neat 3 point turn. (both magnets must be oriented so they only present one pole to each other) Try it, you'll like it! ;-)

Greg.P.

*If you've managed to animate your OO scale pony so it will walk then I want to hear all the details! A friend made a horse tram where the axle had cams and wires linked to the horse's legs. It looks quite good if wooden when it moves.
Reply to
Greg Procter

Pony Truck!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The Ffestiniog did that before they used steam.

Empty slate trucks would be pulled uphill by a one horsepower unit to the quarries.

The loaded train was worked downhill by gravity, with the uphill power unit riding in an empty truck..

The downhill train was powered by gravity and carried the uphill power unit in an empty truck.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

My uncle tried summat similar for his tyneside diaramas. (His trams were something like 3" gauge) Looked a bit odd, but then he added dry ice to do the fog...

Reply to
bobharvey

Yeah yeah, and you mount your bogies on ... ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

My uncle tried summat similar for his tyneside diaramas. (His trams were something like 3" gauge) Looked a bit odd, but then he added dry ice to do the fog...

Did they clip-clop, or did somebody use a couple coconut shell halves?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Did they deposit scale piles of manure at regular intervals?

In Douglas IOM a few years ago, I saw (and smelled) municipal workers applying manure from the tram horses to the promenade flowerbeds.

Reply to
MartinS

When I was a child in Glasgow, milk and coal were often delivered by horse drawn wagons and the Rag and Bone man always had a horse drawn wagon. Can't recall seeing anyone cleaning up the road apples. They seem to have been broken up by the motorised traffic or, now and then, used as ammunition by small boys.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Where I lived in west London there seemed to be some kind of rota about who was permitted to collect the droppings for their gardens!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

The end of your finger!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Grin!

when I was older I had a grundig reel-reel tape recorder, and he did then experiment with crowd noises, but was dissatisfied. He liked making the shop windows, with tiny copies of retail packaging and magazines and the like.

This started back in the 50s, he did everything by hand with scrap bits. The tram bodies were cut from biscuit tins and food cans and hand-curved, then painted with woolworths enamels. I distinctly recall sticking my finger in one of the (unglazed) windows and lacerating myself quite badly.

The whole thing ran on house mains (DC - He lived in Nottingham) so it was "look, not touch" when it was running. I think the electric motors came from a sewing machine, he certainly had a foot treadle for speed control.

His foggy diaramas were quite something. I've often wondered if it would be possible to make a model railway with scale rain...

Reply to
bobharvey

Come to think about it, I reckon the buildings were unglazed as well.

Reply to
bobharvey

Just build a garden railway...

Reply to
MartinS

A neighbour once paid myself and my friend threepence a bucket to pick up droppings for his garden.

Reply to
MartinS

See April 2011 Model Railroader.

;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

In my neighborhood there were no gardens and the neighbour's coal bucket was stolen long since ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Grin!

when I was older I had a grundig reel-reel tape recorder, and he did then experiment with crowd noises, but was dissatisfied. He liked making the shop windows, with tiny copies of retail packaging and magazines and the like.

This started back in the 50s, he did everything by hand with scrap bits. The tram bodies were cut from biscuit tins and food cans and hand-curved, then painted with woolworths enamels. I distinctly recall sticking my finger in one of the (unglazed) windows and lacerating myself quite badly.

The whole thing ran on house mains (DC - He lived in Nottingham) so it was "look, not touch" when it was running. I think the electric motors came from a sewing machine, he certainly had a foot treadle for speed control.

Not as much make do as there used to be.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Someone's railway flooded? I've seen a couple articles on garden railways dealing quite well with snow, albeit not the three foot snowfalls we get in some places in the US. An opportunity for building working snow removal equipment.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser