Opinions please

$68 if you want to take the risk...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Or if you want to order through a UK supplier.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Actually one of that range makes a useful model - the traction engine makes a nice load and most people don't even notice the face.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Tee Hee.

Reply to
bobharvey

Ma brought out the new "Der Adler" a few years back to commemorate something, perhaps the full size replica appearing at steam days. It's proper 1:87, diecast/etched, Faulhaber, and each limited release comes with a different combination of coaches at a hugher price. They stick a Trix label on the 2 rail versions.

Ma/Trix also did the Geislingen 4-4-0 (1848) and the first Swiss Loco. SBB 2-4-0 and train, both with Faulhabers. (SBB=3D Spanish Broetli Bahn)

The Bachmann Norris in it's original form was a Prussian Loco!

In addition there was/is a little yank 0-4-0 with a tender drive.

These last two locos are a reasonable place to start kit-bashing into 1820s-1850s locos, but I'd suggest collecting current from an attached coach or wagon, or even using the mechanisims in coaches or box wagons.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I've seen both of these but circumstances had changed so I no longer had the discretionary imcome - I had moved after my employer went bust to a new job on the other coast with a larger mortgage on a smaller income.

Yes.

That's why I bought the John Bull. The prototype was a Stevenson

0-4-0. Take off the locally built pilot truck and repace the tender which looked nothing like anything in the UK. But it didn't have any coupling rods.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

latest version is to commemorate the rebuilding of the prototype after the fire at the Nuernberg museum. It includes a dcc controller with a fixed address, which I find rather odd.

I spent a week in Nuernberg but could not get into the musuem because of the german habit of a "Winterpause" at tourist attractions. Went tram-bashing of course. That wonderful station is now a shopping mall, but I can understand that 'cos the altstadt isn't.

Reply to
bobharvey

It's a loco I've considered buying for conversion, but local shop keepers seem nervous when I ask to take one apart! Does it have crank-pin bosses and holes? Milling coupling rods isn't to big a problem (for me).

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

No. It's actually like an unpowered bogie with outside bearings

The real thing started off as a Stevenson 0-4-0 but was locally modified to a (2-2)-2-0.

I wanted to convert it back to the original 0-4-0 which had outside sandwich frames, extended axles and outside cranks.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Yes, sorry, forgot about those! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"bobharvey" wrote

You may well be, but I suspect as far as potential mass-produced models are concerned you'll be in a small minority.

Certainly the vast majority of modellers I know recreate what they recall in their youth or later in life.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Those really got up my nose.....

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Plus if you really want something different then out with the soldering iron and - as Jerry (bless) would say - do some real modelling ;-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

They start off that way but change when the real world hits.

Even as a boy in my Triang days a Pacific and three coaches looked wrong.

When I got back into the hobby it was via the Airfix Prairie and 14xx. But when they bought out the Castle I bought one - it was streets ahead of the old Hornby/Wrenn offering. But after buying about 8 Centenary coaches I had nowhere to run a proper train apart from the club.

A Dean Goods or a Mogul plus four Mainline Collett coaches was a far more practical train to run at home. I still had the Triang clerestories from my youth and these made an attractive train behind my smaller engines which happened to be the older ones. I also had some Ratio 4-wheelers and saw that a train of these "felt" longer than it actually was.

When I moved up to O-gauge I remembered this lesson and went for an era when engines were smaller and carriages shorter.

And my largest engine is a Dean Single from the 1985 DJB kit - named Duke of Connaught for the one which took over the mail train from City of Truro to continue the epic run with its own amazing performance of sustained speed.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Yes, but only in the UK AFAIK - in continetal model shops the very latest current liveried MUs and double deck trains are what dominate. A few old farts buy steam outline, but it seems as though most customers are modelling what lies before them.

Not sure about the USA, my sample set is not large. But few of the shops I have been in have stocked anything remotely historic.

In Uruguay the one model exhibition I went to was stuffed to the gills with models of the country's first train, first steamship, first aeroplane. But that was such a small sample as to be worthless!

Reply to
bobharvey

This one seems to shift:

would scale up to about 300mph I reckon.

Reply to
bobharvey

I forgot about the outside frames :-( My thought (before I forgot) was to purchase a spare rear axle/ wheelset and put that in the front driving axle space. One could once upon a time buy Bachmann spares.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Snot fair is it? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

The quality is on a par with (or below that of) the 'Railroad' range therefore I'd suggest £45 for the loco & £15 each for the coaches. Therefore an RRP of £90 (£70-75 discounted) would potentially be reasonable.

John.

Reply to
John Turner