Overcrowding on FGW

Statistics published by ORR this week suggest that FGW operate the most overcrowded services in the country by a large margin, with morning peak services into Paddington carrying on average 18.5% of passengers in excess of capacity (PiXC) in autumn 2010, with some around 50%. The corresponding PiXC figure for the next most overcrowded flow into Liverpool St is 4.9% passengers in excess of capacity on average.

So what is DfT doing about it ? Precious little in the short or medium term as far as I can see, with none of the recent reallocations of stock having any bearing on the flows to/from Paddington. Nor can I see that rumoured transfer of three(?) Class 180s back to FGW making much impact as 59% of ALL trains are over capacity in the morning rush hour, many of them HSTs from Reading and points west. Crossrail from Maidenhead will not ease the situation. I can see little propect of any improvement until electrification and IEPs arrive in 2017 (maybe).

David

Reply to
David Randles

I'm not sure how that information is useful to my modelling, unless it is that you expect me to pump up my carriages with a bicycle pump to represent overcrowding?

Reply to
anonymous

Means running shorter trains is prototypical. Makes layout design easier, saves on costs of stock. Job's a good 'un.

Reply to
Andy Breen

You'll need to put in a bigger order with Preiser?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

I think Preiser could have the solution for FGW - smaller people !!!

Last time I looked, Preiser made people in 1:87 and 1:160 scales. As typical UK scales are 1:76 and 1:148, this makes the people a bit too small.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Are you not comparing the Paddington morning peak with the whole day at Liverpool St here?

Reply to
David Cantrell

Try using 1:220 (Z); they'll appear a lot bigger.... :-)

Reply to
Ermin de Winkel

team

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Actually, the seated figures are ideal for putting inside buses or rail coaches, since the interiors are more cramped than the real thing due to the thickness of walls, floors, seat backs, etc. Still, you often have to amputate them at the knees when crude seat mouldings leave little of no legroom.

Reply to
MartinS

Also 1:72. Strictly speaking a tad too big, but people come in different sizes and probably usable.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Very like some commuter prototypes then!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not just prototypes. I am 5ft 10inches and of "normal" proportion and there are seats in our local buses where my knees are hard up against the back of the seat in front before my bum can reach the seat. And this is in Middlesex on ten year old stock. Presumably designed for pygmies.

Reply to
Tinkerer

FGW are converting withdrawn TRSB to TSO to restore the HST fleet to all

2+8. Would be interesting modelling variation as I would imagine the roof detail would stay the same but body would look more like a TSO. The 180's allow FGW to shift HSTs off the Cotswold line too beef up services on the mainline.
Reply to
Chris

Perhaps that's what they look like quashed on rush hour trains into Paddington ;)

Reply to
Chris