painting waxy plastic (heljan)

Hi,

What is the best method to paint 'waxy' plastic parts, such as the extra detailing parts supplied with the Heljan 47's.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Rich

If you're talking about parts like handrails, the problem is usually that the parts flex more than the paint does, resulting in the paint flaking off.

One thing that has become popular over here in the US for painting those parts is paints designed for radio controlled race cars - the big, _really_ fast ones that have clear acrylic bodies that are usually painted on the _inside_. I've done handrails on my own N scale locomotives with this paint, and it performs remarkably well, even with a lot of handling. I've had very little flaking - and when it HAS flaked, it's been because I didn't have good coverage all around the handrail section. You'll find the paints anywhere that handles those cars.

As with anything else, be sure to clean the plastic well to remove any lingering release agents before painting. Small non-flexing parts (horns, bells, etc) can use regular paints.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

It's the extra parts like the TDM and RTH cables/jumers for the 47/7's. The paint will not stick when painting. I can remeber reading somewhere someone having the same problem paining loco bogies and having the same problem, but I cant remeber where I read it.

Reply to
Rich

I had no trouble painting mine using standard Humbrol enamels; I left them on the sprues for easy handling. I applied gloss white first and when dry, applied the top coat.

I used gloss because it seems to stick better to small items, my normal choice for undercoat would be matt white. I also found it easier to press the pipes into the bufferbeams when the beams were detached from the loco, buffers removed and lying flat on my workbench.

The TDM cables are pain to position, take care!

Reply to
Ben