pre-grouping models

I've just noticed that the "empty" address on Hornby's new R6302 D R Llewellyn PO wagon is "Windber Colliery, via Gadlys Junction, Aberdare, T.V.R.". According to Turton's second collection (p.81) the prototype of this wagon was built in June 1907.

Apart from the couplings (!) and the brake gear (which should be on one side only) this is a rather lovely representation of the wagon as shown in Turton.

Pity there aren't any suitable pre-grouping locomotives to pull this wagon in Hornby's catalogue.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Aberdare,

prototype of

this

Have they stopped doing the LBSCR Terrier?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Not even Lord of the Isle? LOL

I didnt think that any of Hornby's wagons were suitable for modelling

1907 stock anyways, and that they were based on the RCH spec of the late 20's?
Reply to
John Ruddy

Were these ever used on freight?

Although there is a wonderful picture of a Queen 2-2-2 on a pickup goods in one of Kevin Robertson's books on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway.

Wagons to this basic design were built a couple of decades earlier, before the RCTS spec was issued.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the LBSCR Terrier was known to frequent the area around Gadlys Junction on the Taff Vale Railway.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Well, one got as far as the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead, another could just as well have made its way to one of the south wales lines.

Reply to
John Ruddy

,

You would be surprised were old LBSCR Terriers could be found, when the LBSCR was absorbed into the SR at it's formation it held no Terriers on it's stock, when the SR became BR(s) they have more than a few...! :~)

Besides that, Private owner and Railway company wagons did not stay in one area and thus could be found anywhere between owner and customer IYSWIM. This is one of the reason why the RCH was formed, to standardise on design and thus make parts interchangeable anywhere in the country.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Yes, I know that, but as my mother's side of the family comes from Aberdare, I was thinking of basing the operations of my layout on the south Wales valleys, particularly Aberdare. Hence all the palaver about this particular wagon (of which I have ordered more than a few).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan