Pullamans R too heavy?

I have had lots of problems running my rake of 8 New Hornby Pullmans with the couplings giving way and derailments.

However I ran a rake of 5 last night and sure enough they went for 2 + hours without a problem. I am guessing then that the extra weight of the additional 3 coaches could be the problem. Does any one know if there is a "coach weight" inside these models? Other than that I am considering pushing the copper strips that run against the axle away to lessen the drag effect, its quite a heavy rake when 8 are assembled.

Reply to
piemanlarger

I read very recently on a website, which I can't find now, that detailed the construction of a large outdoors OO gauge layout that problems of running long trains with Hornby "tension lock" couplings are not uncommon. The problem appears to be the coupling itself - It does exactly what it says on the tin: Locks under tension. The higher the tension (ie, longer the train in this instance), the more tendancy there is to up completely, and hence derail or cause other problems.

I've never used them myself, but Keen Systems close coupling system looks like an ideal solution to this problem, by keep the entire rake rigidly coupled together, but also opening up generously around corners.

I think is the URL.

Ronnie

--

Due to recent viruspams, any email containing the word "Microsoft" will not be received.

Reply to
Ronnie Clark

I have installed them, but my trains are only 5 coaches. They work very well, and together with Keen's sprung corridor connections they give a much more realistic appearance. They install quite easily on the Hornby LMS/LNER/GWR/SR 57ft chassis, but require a bit more surgery on other types, including the old Hornby Pullmans; I don't know about the new ones. There's also a new coupler specifically for the Bachmann Mk 1.

The website is a bit out of date and only works properly with IE, but I'm sure you can get an up-to-date full list on request.

BTW for the person asking about Roco couplers, there are some photos on the same site of Rocos used with the Keen system between loco and coach.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Ronnie Clark writes

That was probably my website, URL in my sig, below.

Reply to
John Sullivan