Railway jigsaw puzzles

Hi Can anybody advise me of a manufacturer who makes railway/train puzzles with

2000 or more pieces in them. Preferrably with British locomotives on a card base. Many thanks Roger
Reply to
Roger Mitchell

It seems hard to find any over 1000 pieces. Here's some 500-1000:

Here's an American 3000 piece one:

Ravensburger and Clementoni do large puzzles (up to 18000 pieces) but no trains that I can find.

Reply to
MartinS

Not enough pieces but

;-)

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Horrible site, doesn't display properly on Firefox. If they can't be bothered to write good HTML code (or hire someone who can), they don't get my business.

Am I being a curmudgeon? Damn right. I'm tired of cheapskate companies who don't take web-marketing seriously enough to get it right.

[...]
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Not requested, but here are some computer jigsaw puzzles to download:

Will do for a quick fix. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I've seen websites that don't display properly on IE6 let alone FireFox. In some cases they can't be accessed with IE6 (or its AOL equivalent) at all! The webmaster's stock reply was that everyone should upgrade to FireFox or IE7.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's not actually such a bad response. IE6 is horribly insecure and very badly broken in terms of standards compliance. As a web author, I try to stick to standards as far as possible, and it doesn't bother me that obsolete browsers can't handle it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

How times have changed. Way back when I was programming for 3270s we designed stuff that would work on the different models, and also minimise the amount of data transmitted. Formatting it differently for screen sizes and availability of colour.

Now you're stuck with what some web designer decides, who can't be bothered to check it on different browsers and who probably never access his own work down a broadband link let alone dial-in.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

OK, guys, I'm sorry I blew off about crappy websites. Let's get back to (model) railways, shall we? Please? Pretty please?

Cheers,

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

A few years back I worked on web browser, and one of the most difficult things to implement was tables. IE did not follow the standard, so to get the results the consumer expected it was necessary to introduce the same bugs that IE has! Good old Mickysoft...

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Hi Mark,

I guess as a web author, your customer is the business or individual wanting a web site.

As a business person, your customer wants to sell his products to anyone and everyone. As such the business wants his website to be available to everyone with a computer connected to the internet. Probably your customers aren't sufficiently savvy to recognise that you're not selling them what they need.

Those of us who aren't in the computer business and have other priorities don't want to waste our hard earned cash on regular expensive upgrades of something that appears to do exactly what the old one did, only slower and with more faults.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

PS not intended as a personal attack.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

They need what they can afford to pay for. If they want websites that conform to the standards, then that's the cheapest option. If they want websites that do standards plus various other proprietory oddities, that costs extra.

Browsers are free. If you've still got an older version of Windows then you can't upgrade to the latest version of IE, but Firefox, Opera and Chrome will all run ok and will be quicker and more standards compliant than an old copy of IE. And IE6 really, *really* is horrible. Anyone still running it is wide open to all sorts of malicious attacks. From a commercial perspective, then it might be worth supporting it. But from an ethical perspective, I can't justify anything other than the strongest possible encouragement to replace it with something more secure.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

The other day I had a message telling me to upgrade Opera to Netscape 4! Just like the good old days.

People shouldn't underestimate the number of "well it works on my computer, the customers will just have to upgrade won't they?" managers still out there (well, out there until the revolution. At which point their numbers will drop very rapidly).

They seem to correlate with the "I'm a manager, so I don't need to listen to 'nerds' (he he he), why, even my nephew can 'do computers' so what is the fuss about interwebs. Anyway, we've a meeting scheduled to choose which shade of white paper our print brochure should be printed on. And can someone reinstall Google on my computer?".

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

If someone is designing websites for different systems he is almost certainly missing the whole point of the web. Work to the standards - not only is it easier, it is future-proof. If you design for the bugs in browser version , you are stuffed when the new version comes out, or someone launches a new way of accessing content.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

That is bad programming, because it's not recognising a standards-compliant browser and telling you to use one that isn't compliant! But that's very different from telling people to stop using faulty browers and get one that works properly.

People who think that it's a good idea to carry on using obsolete and insecure software such as IE6 are the ones with their fingers in their ears refusing to listen to the nerds!

The majority of spam and viruses are propagated by means of botnets - networks of compromised PCs infected by means of browser exploits. People who refuse to upgrade to a more secure browser are indirectly responsible for a lot of the harm that floats around the Internet. If I catch someone using IE6 I would quite happily go round their house and forcibly disconnect them from the Internet, using a pair of wire clippers if necessary. That kind of anti-social laziness has no place on a co-operative network like the Internet.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

It is a bit like asking a railway to upgrade its ICE3s to Pacers. Please upgrade your hand-built track to Triang standards.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis