Railway Webcam

This off topic because the link is to a Japanese railway station rather than a UK one, but I think if you have an interest in railways you'll enjoy seeing it.

The difference between this cam and practically all others is that it has sound. (at the time of posting there is a right old storm blowing) You can hear all the goings on at the station.

This has been practically my 'puter wallpaper since it was posted to a Japanese mailing list, very voyeuristic! The camera does seem to go down a lot, so if it's not there when you go and take a look, try again a while later.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Rob

I think the Llangollen Railway already does, or was at least planning to, but on a prepay basis. Can't remember whether it was going to have sound though.

Reply to
Spyke

Is anything supposed to happen ? I been watching for a while and nothing has moved !!!

Reply to
Mike

It was just past 3am when you posted! Give it an hour or two :)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Depends on the time of day, I suppose. Trains do come and go periodically, and you can see people walking up and down the platforms. The video quality is pretty good, and the sound is a bonus - eapecially the little electronic tunes they play when a train is about to depart. I guess you need broadband to get the best effect.

Right now (18:50 GMT) it's dark and there are 2 trains in shot. It's

03:50 there; I'd guess it'll be busier in another 4 hours.
Reply to
MartinS

OK I take it all back its superb !! what station is it ? I guess its a terminus ?? Love the music playing before the train departs !! I got broadband so its very good

Reply to
Mike

Yes, the sun is up and it's getting busy! A train just arrived at the right-hand platform (07:25 local time).

I was searching for other webcams and couldn't find any with real-time video and sound.

Reply to
MartinS

Trying to locate where it is, I did a Google search on "wakamatasueki". I'm guessing it's an outer suburban terminal somewhere.

It gave me four sites containing the same webcam link, three of which also have links to photos of Japanese prototype and model trains.

Here's a great example:

MartinS

The station is Aizu-Wakamatsu, which is located on the JR Banetsu-sai Line in Fukushima prefecture in the north-east of Japan. It is not actually at the end of the line, so trains reverse out to continue on their way. The two terminal platforms visible are mostly used by EMUs, but there are more platforms off-camera to the left which are used by DMUs on a separate branchline.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

Thanks for the info. I thought there must be other platforms, because you can hear the departure chimes. You can also hear what sounds like a bus from time to time in the background. One of the trains departing from the left platform earlier was definitely a DMU. I noticed that some trains arrive and depart within a few minutes, while others sit for a while then leave without an announcement, presumably empty to the yards. Sometimes one will layover on the centre track. I actually saw a trainspotter taking a photo of one train!

Reply to
MartinS

All we need now is a Timetable !! pity there are no cams like this in the UK ? unless you know of any

Reply to
Mike

Hi

I can hear things but have not picture?

Reply to
Mike in Sussex UK

are you using Windows Media player ?

Reply to
Mike

Pete - I think this is great. Has anyone published (on the web) a list of railway webcams? Would be good to see some others.

Reply to
Dave Potter

The message from "Dave Potter" contains these words:

Have a shufti at:

There's more than just trains on the site.

Reply to
David Jackson

Thanks Dave - that's a few to be going on with :-)

Reply to
Dave Potter

Yes !

Reply to