Re: County Class 4-4-0

> I was looking at an illustration of these at Swindon in 1932, showing

> > them partially dismantled. > > > > How many of the components would have been re-used? Boilers, presumably, > > went back into the pool (these were the no 4 type, common to classes??? > > > > Small parts also would have been salvaged, but what about wheels, > > cylinders, connecting rods, valve gear parts, etc? Would some of this > > have ended up in new-build Castles, Halls, etc? > > > > Henry Law > > I don't know, but it prompts me to mention a series of articles > published in Airfix Magazine many years ago (1967-8?) describing > projects utilising the Airfix Prairie Tank and City of Truro. By > combining parts from these two kits and improvising certain components, > it was possible to contrive an extraordinary number of GWR classes, > demonstrating the remarkable standardisation that Swindon achieved > > Placing a City boiler on the Pairie chassis produced a pretty accurate > 43XX mogul. A County was created using the same components but with > further butchery of the chassis to accept the City's driving wheels. > Naturally, a County Tank 4-4-2 could also be created. > > By hacking the boiler (or using a bit of tube for a parallel boiler) > and in some cases utilising the smaller Prairie wheels in the City's > frames, practically every double-framed 4-4-0 was produced - Bulldog, > Flower, Atbara, Duke, Dukedog. > > Finally, a City boiler was mounted on a mostly-scratchbuilt 2-6-0 > chassis to produce an Aberdare. > > Andy

I would dread to suggest that nobody on the net still has that magazine, but could some of you plastic-hacker types out there reconstruct what could be possibly done, so that we poor souls with limited funds and long winter nights could experiment... on the cheap.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

Gather together as many drawings of GWR locos you can - there must be books in the library, magazines etc etc I copy mine to a common scale, twice my modelling scale. If they have dimensions and boiler type numbers the job becomes easy. :-) Axle spacings, wheel diameters, boiler sizes etc etc Try all the combinations of boiler to chassis available to you - you're unlikely to find a combination the GWR missed. You often find that cab designs and the like were upgraded over the decades of production so a newer cab on a model can be backdated. Tenders changed, often depending on route usage. It becomes a whole new hobby and you find you can't stand having a loco out of the box running on the layout!

You might think you'd end up with more locos in the junk box than on the layout if every running loco requires two donors, but I guarentee every major part put in the junk box suggests another conversion :-))))

Regards, Greg.P.

PS no, I'm not modelling GWR.

Reply to
Greg Procter

and I'm not in England...

David (waiting for the ... "and whose fault is that???... the Answer is : Harold Wilson)

Reply to
chorleydnc

Reply to
Greg Procter