Re: Model Buildings

Hello all.

> What is the groups opinion in ref to mixing different manufactures model > buildings, albeit on different areas of the layout? > My layout is a U-shape around the basement with an "island" in the middle. > On the sides I am using superquick and metcalfe models with a few small > wills scenic items thrown in, and am very happy with the result. However, > for the "island" I have been collecting the Skaledale range and like them as > well. > Would it best to stick to one type of building or do you think it will be OK > to mix them? Anyone got any experience or thoughts to share? > Rob

Frankly Rob, if it looks right, it *is* right! On a "real" train journey one would see thousands of buildings all built by different people in different ways, so if anything it's more authentic. :o)

Reply to
Jim M

I find that plastic (or other models with moulded 3-d elements) stand out when placed next to paper card buildings, the usual advice is dont mix them but I rather liked the effect when all the railway buildings were plastic but the set-dressing buildings (rows of housebacks along the rear of the layout) were the card type - One big plus of card is cost but with a bit of pratting about you can add a degree of relief detail, even a little goes a long way (recess doors and windows and add external window sills, doorsteps, drain and rain water pipes etc)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

My advice is to try and keep a similar style of building whether they be card or plastic if you are modelling a village or small cluster of buildings. In towns you do see a wide variety of building styles, but go to a village or hamlet and the variety of styles is not so great.

I'm planning a layout now and buildings will feature quite a lot, but I want them to fit in with the imaginary history of the place being modelled, so I have to look at buildings constructed between 1930 and 1960. Anything earlier and it will have to be carefully placed and definitely outside the main area.

Reply to
Mike K