Re: Stanmore Rattler

Has anyone done any modelling project using the above small branch

> line as aprototype. If so I would be grateful for any leads on books > etc covering the subject. > Richard Myers > (currently on holiday in UK - normally resident in Burlington Canada)

It's one of the (erm) inspirations for my plank layout, if you mean the Harrow and Wealdstone - Stanmore Village line. There's a Connor & Butler book called The Stanmore Village Branch by I.Baker & J.E.Connor, that

likely to be lurking in the Ian Allan bookshop at Waterloo or Motor Books near Leicester Square (and I think I've seen it in the Harrow Model Shop and Engine Shed, Leytonstone).

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

Thanks Mark...Got that one from...

Great inspirational book but unfortunately no detailed track plans. I lived in the general area in the 30's and 40's but never thought I might be interested in modelling the line. I beleive there may be a O/S map that would show track layout but so far no luck searching.

Reply to
Richard Myers

Hmm - interesting one, the Stanmore line, as I seem to recall it being used as one of the routes for testing the B.U.T. 4-wheel DMU sets (a sort of Pacer precursor, I guess, though the two classes had no connection). They also ran, sporadically, in the area where I currently live, on ex-GW metals out of Wolverhampton LL. Back to Stanmore snippets; I believe the line was cut back to Belmont in '52, probably due to LPTB competiton, as the latter offered an electric train service into the heart of London. Stanier (oh, all right then, E.J.H. Lemon!) 0-4-4T tanks were common on push-pull trains later in the route's life, and if you can get hold of one (very easy in N, less so in OO), the Farish suburban brake 2nd is easily converted into a good representation of an LMS push-pull coach.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher