Request for info on old Arnlod N gauge locomotive.

Hi, About 15 years ago a friend of mine died, and shortly before he went, he gave me this locomotive. Does anyone know anything about it? I'd be fascinated to know something about it.

Thanks,

Rob.

Robert Wilson

"Robert Wilson" wrote

It's a model of a Swiss 'Krokodil' electric locomotive. I've no idea why it's finished with that tacky looking gold.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi John, I can only guess that it was a special edition. Company Anniversary?

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

At a guess, the horrible finish is something for the "collector" market. Arnold did occaisionally do oddball things aimed at them.

As a model (finish aside), its quite decent for its period. Arnold usually made decent models. As for value, who knows; some things seem to go for very silly money on Ebay.

It should run fine on normal N-gauge track, though if its been standing unused for 15 years, the bearings may benefit from **tiny** quantities of clock oil. Clean wheels with care (avoid agressive abrasives, they only scratch which encourages more dirt).

I think you can still see the real ones operating in preservation.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Actually it's unpowered!

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Thanks George!

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Class Ce6/8 I

1'CC 1' or 2-6-6-2.

It is a "limited edition" version of their standard Swiss "Krokodil", but produced in one limited run with real gold plating. The gold doubled the purchase price! I'm not an Arnold fan/collector so I don't know the year it was released but somewhere about 1988-90 sounds about right. There were other models; the DRG BR 95 (2-10-2t) and KPEV P4.2 (4-4-0) spring to mind in other years.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter