Retail margins

A lot of the "real showrooms" were staffed by people who considered themselves a cut above the riff-raff who came into the showroom to buy goods or make enquiries. I am sure many would-be buyers were put off by this attitude.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote

A bit like Grace Brothers eh? ;-)

Wonder what happened to Mrs Slocombe's pussy?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It is only "sour grapes" in the sense that they were not allowed to deliver the level of service they thought they should be offering due to financial constraints. Most found much better paid employment elsewhere doing other things.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If by "a cut above" you mean they actually knew something about the items they were selling then you are correct :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Indeed they did know something - often quite a lot - about the items they were selling but felt it necessary to look down upon a naive customer who was seeking information and advice. There were honourable exceptions but they were in the minority.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

My experience was the exact opposite. The then-£70 per week basic-pay salesmen were only too happy to teach me everything they knew about the business with no strings attached while certain know-all customers belittled them and their profession at every opportunity. I am told it has got a lot worse since then.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

My experiences of the "superior" salesfolk was in the early 1960s.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Ah! You could be right then. I didn't get involved until the early 1990's.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Probably not a lot!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ahhh!.. the Good Old days. The golden age of poor but honest sturdy shop-folk, eh? And it was all going so swimmingly until them *bloody* customers started getting themselves clued-up...

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I bet you know! :-)

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Dead mate! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Next time you're in Tesco Steve, ask the girl behind the counter why no sound comes out when you put "Phantom of the Opera" on one their DVD players. There's actually a very simple explanation and the problem is very easily rectifed but don't expect any of their half-wit employees to know the answer.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"John Turner" wrote in news:12tj419iaubcr55 @news.supernews.com:

The last I heard it had been seen in a garden in SE London. The report went on to say that this garden contained a 120' outdoor model railway.

The report concluded on a sad note by highlighting the fact that the pussy dissapeared after a confrontation with a person wearing a twin set and pearls wearing as a matching accessories a pink taffita covered air-rifle with a military grade laser sight.

Apparently the person was swearing in a most unladylike way, calling out "Come on you bastard crows she's all yours now - and don't shit on the tracks or it's Mr Shotgun time!".

Nieghbours are at a loss to explain this behaviour.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

PMSL!

Watch out Jane. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Chris Wilson writes

LOL!

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In article , Chris Wilson writes

Chris,

I've checked the police webby site, apparently north west Kent is a more accurate location.

Reply to
John Bishop

John Bishop wrote in news:i$ snipped-for-privacy@ddrummond.demon.co.uk:

Trust me on this John, the area I have in mind falls under Penge and hence the overlordship of the Commisioner of Police for the Metropolis.

Mind you many from Bromley do refer to living in occupied territory.

Me, I'm from Lancashire and cold't give a hoot. :-)

BTW got your mail, many thanks.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

I can assure all the membership here that the old township of Bacheham, Becceham, Beckingham, Beckenham or however you want to spell it, does not fall under Penge. You could say, though you probably won't, that we are indepengent of that place.

Although the Post Office is very much behind the times and insists we are part of the county of Kent, the fact that we pay our council tax to the London Borough of Bromley implies that we are part of south-east London.

Owls of derision :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan