Rusty rails

OK, I know I am into playing trains and not rivet counting, but rails in sidings are very often dull, whereas model rails must always be bright to ensure good contact. Does anyone know a way of dulling rail heads while maintaining conductivity? I thought of using conductive paint (which is available in a dull silver) but it's not really dull enough.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Try gun bluing, the stuff used by gunsmiths to colour the steel. Easy to get over here. Or try Blacken-it (made in USA for hobbyists, so it costs more than gun-bluing). After application, polish the railhead, it will have a dullish sheen.

Warning: it's a selenium salt solution, so take the usual precautions.

HTH

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:15:40 -0500, Wolf K said in :

Thanks, there is a gunsmith locally so I should be able to get some.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I think one manufacturer (was it SMP?) used to produce flexi-track (and individual pieces of rail) from phosphor bronze. This had a nice dark reddy-brown hue, and looked far more realistic than bright nickel-silver.

Is it still available?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I used it in OO 30+ years ago.

I remember an article by Stewart Hinewhere he used paxolin for the check and wing rails on turnouts, which would also be rusty - a perennial problem with these is that as soon as you clean the track they become bright again.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Chris,

By complete coincidence, I read that article the other day :-) It's by Brian Tilbury and Stewart Hine in Your Model Railways Dec, 1984.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Micro Engineering (USA firm) makes flex track with "weathered" flat bottom rail. It's a dark brown. Wood and concrete ties available. The concrete tie version might do for UK track, since the spacing is a little wider. M-E track is very nice stuff - I've not seen _any_ hand-laid track that matches it for realistic appearance. Pricey, but IMO worth it if you want the best.

cheers,

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K