Seep vs Peco point motors

Unless the point is still wired as bought. If it is, then the blades could cause shorts?

Reply to
Ian J.

On 09/12/2007 16:42, Ian J. said,

How? Even on Peco points, the blades are insulated from the frogs (reverting to OO-speak!!) If the open blade was at the same polarity as the frog, then you have the very real potential for shorts from the widely varying wheel backs on RTR stock. Last time I owned a Peco point, that simply wasn't possible with either insulfrogs or electrofrogs. Admittedly I don't have any Peco points to hand, but I can't believe they would change the design to introduce the possibility of shorts when they had the design right in the first place. If the design has changed, then I stand to be corrected, but I really can't see Peco doing that.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Indeed, that is the case in theory. In practice, the clearances are so wide that you get away with all sorts.

I only have N gauge electrofrog (where the clearance mentioned above is nearly 2mm). The switch blades are electrically bonded to the frog and it's the contact between one blade and the stock rail that switches the frog polarity.

The problem happens when the principle of proper point wiring is misunderstood or not carried out correctly. If you switch the frog by other means and do not isolate it from the switch blades then the frog can change polarity before the switch blades change over and cause a short. Once the frog is isolated, the switch blades should be electrically bonded to the adjacent stock rail.

Andrew Crosland

Reply to
google