Seep vs Peco point motors

I have both SEEP and PECO on my layout and have used both for many years.
You CANNOT rely on the built in switch on the SEEP motors, not only is it cheap and cheerful it needs precision extreme accuracy in positioning the motor. I bought my SEEPs on precisely the same basis that you were thinking and was deeply disappointed. On my previous layout I had no end of difficulty installing them as they need very precise positioning even if you are not using the switch. On my latest layout I am using much smaller boards that could be wired up on a bench where I could reach both sides easily. I was also using ply. In these circumstances the SEEP were much easier to instal. Once installed and working they seem very reliable but then so are PECO.
BEFORE deciding on a DCC system try them out because in my view at the end of the day the choice comes down to the man machine interface and whether you like knobs, buttons, slides or wheels. Several suppliers have layouts set up where you can try several systems together. I personally use the NCE system.
Brian
Stuart Smith wrote:

I prefer Seep under baseboard as I do not need to guage a big hole for the clipin a peco motor in, you can get an adaptor for the peco motors to do the same and they also do motors with extended pins to work with it. For DCC control I use a DAC10 http://www.cmlelectronics.co.uk/products/dac10.htm which can drive 8 double ended solenoid points and has 10 inputs that can be used to set routes or point detection, incorporates a CDU and take power from a separete 16V AC feed. I use it to set routes into a fiddle yard one button sets the route you hear them going over in sequence. Lots of configurable things like recharge time between throw commands and pulse duration for each pair of ends, have a look at their website for more details. Don't tend to use DCC for controlling much but useful if I only want to throw one pair of points and of course for programming the unit.
Chris
Stuart Smith wrote:

I beleive ZTC do a Seep type motor with integral DCC decoder as well.
Chris