Simsig signal box simulator

This is probably old news to this group but I came across it today and thought it might be of passing interest
"Welcome to the world of railway signalling! SimSig brings the
signalbox to your home PC, and with it the enjoyment and frustrations of a running today's railways.
SimSig is free and, as such, is not regularly maintained. However, updates do happen from time to time and we may bring out a new simulation every now and again, so keep visiting the site!"
http://www.simsig.co.uk/index.html
Mike
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:16:43 -0000, "Mike Smith"

Toooooo haaaaaard!
Back to lever frames with no more than a dozen points, for me :-)
Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Mike Smith wrote:

Used to be paid for years ago which is why some need a license key. Liverpool street can get quite tricky especially for the scenario with two of the approach lines closed.
Chris
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:45:08 +0000, Chris wrote:

Nowhere on this site I can find a reference to computer system requirements. Exept "PC". I'm running Linux on Intel pentium.
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

<snip>
http://www.simsig.co.uk/html/linux.html
Basically Simsig seems to have written for a Windows environment, I'm sure if you offered the team your skills with Linux and offered your free time to port the various simulations for Linux....
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:00:56 +0000, Jerry wrote:

I prefer to leave that job to computing hobbyists. If Simsig is written in C++ porting should be not too hard. If written in VisualBasic or some other Microsoft speciality it is too much for one man in what is left of one lifetime...
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Wim van Bemmel wrote:

If it's not too excessively complex, and is programmed in good old GDI/GDI+ then it would run on Wine fairly straightforwardly I would suspect. Have't got time or inclination to try it though.
Agreed though if it's written in C/C++ then porting should be a doddle. Is the code available? I might have a stab.
Rob.

Wow am amazed by your confidence and ability. Some of the (loosely termed) C++ I've had to look at isnt a doddle - esp the 7000 line functions with comments along the lines of i++; // increment i x = 0; //set x to zero
Cheers, Simon
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:50:07 +0000, simon wrote:

Seems like some beginner's code, who needs to remember that i++ stands for "use i, and then increment i". Standard C. Don't think any compiler stumbles about such elementary things...
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Wim van Bemmel wrote:

Very meaningful variable names, I was once told that careful selection of names for variables, functions etc negates the need for comments as it is apparent from the code what it does. Although commercial code is sometimes obscured to make it less easy to reverse engineer.
Chris
Chris wrote:

There's a competition for the most obfuscated code (IOCCC). The winner in 1998 was a flight simulator in under 2 kilobytes of code, complete with relatively accurate 6-degree-of-freedom dynamics, loadable wireframe scenery, and a small instrument panel! <http://www.aerojockey.com/software/ioccc
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:21:17 +0000, Chris wrote:

Nevertheless, elementary constructs as i++; x=0; do not normally have to be explained by comments. Except perhaps for beginner's lesson 1.
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

it was meant as a demonstration of a useless comment thats adds nothing to understanding that isnt immediately obvious from the code itself. People do things like that to claim its fully documented. Cheers, Simon

Comments in-line should explain *why* something is being done rather than *what* is being done - there should also be comments at a higher-level ahead of each major code element, e.g. procedure, function or logical block, giving a short summary of the overall intention of that block and ideally containing a reference back to the part of the requirements specification to which the code relates. I know, completely idealistic and not practised in the real world .... perhaps that explains why we are so acceptaing of crap software!
--
Andy

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:14:53 -0500, Ex-Pat Andy wrote:

Agree.
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Wim van Bemmel wrote:

It is a Windows program should run OK on Windows VM on your Linux box, works OK on my Mac that way.
Chris
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:30:27 +0000, Chris wrote:

Thanks!
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

There is also a very good (paid for) product that simulates quite a number of actual boxes and timetables. Have a look at www.pcrail.co.uk . I have spent many a happy hour using it.