Lenz 1035 back emf?

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to disable the back emf facility of these LE1035 decoders yet?

I could wait for the lenz info to arrive, but I'm desperate to double head my bachmann 37's!

Martin

Reply to
Martin

The manual can be downloaded from Ken Mackay

It appears that there are no CVs for adjusting or disabling the back emf. Are you having problems double heading? If so I would suggest emailing Lenz about it since they obviously expect it to work OK. (And why shouldn't it if you match the speeds usoing the start voltage adjustment.?)

Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Keith Norgrove"

If "doublehead(er)" with diesels is taken as omo, then that's fine.

Gotcha.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

"Gregory Procter" <

You need to understand North American practice.

North American rules define a "Locomotive" (Putting it simply) as one or more locomotives coupled together under the control of one engineer.

A locomotive thus may 'consist' of several locomotives.

Hence, consist.

It's pronounced, in this context, with the emphasis on the first syllable. CON-sist.

Another slang term is a "lash-up". However, this usually implies a consist using locos of various type and usually rather an odd ball looking consist.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

Why. Its a UK group.

Reply to
Rob

Roger T. is of British origin and lives in that most British of North American cities, Victoria BC. He has extensive knowledge of both British and North American railway practices. I believe he was simply trying to compare terminolgy and practices between the two, not forcing his views on anyone. Let this not become another troll war.

Reply to
MartinS

Obviously quoting only that part of the reply that suits your needs.

Anyway, why not understand a little of what some of the rest of the world does.?

I'm (reasonably) knowledgeable on North American railways, though my knowledge of UK railways waxes after August 1968, when the need to follow UK practice ceased. So what's wrong with that?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

Psssst! Roger: wax=increase, wane=decrease.

Hope you didn't mind my jumping to your defence. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS"

That goof I can't blame on the spill chukka. Dunno what I was thunking.

No problem Martin.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

I do.

Almost everything on the planet consists of something, hence my (intended) point that "consist" is a basically meaningless term in this context. "Double head" in itself gives a small clue to it's meaning.

This is all fine if one is modelling US railways but most of us are not. One should be able to operate ones models using the correct terminology of the chosen prototype.

I'm forced to reject computer programs that use "railroad", "CTC", "Cars" etc because they require a mental translation each time a foreign term is used, which irritates me. I know it's horribly picky but here I am, striving for visual and operating accuracy of my models and a whole section of the hobby is demanding inaccuracy!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Because US culture is supreme! (sing two verses of "Stars and Stripes" before responding ;-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter"

I agree Greg. Not picky at all.

Here in Canada we are swamped with Americanisms, as can be expected. When I used responsible for purchasing systems for the company I used to work for, I was always annoyed that the manufacturers would demo stuff that was all American. American addresses, American cites, states not provinces everything American. They'd then tell me that they would, of course, customise the actual system to accept Canadian postal codes etc., etc. I always asked why the demo hadn't been Canadianized in the first place. Always got a blank look.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

"US culture"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

One can use whatever terminology one wishes. Nobody is forcing anything on anybody.

It's not inaccurate for the North American section of the hobby. I don't know about numbers in the railway modelling fraternity, but the US and Canada combined have more than five times the population of the UK (and

77 times that of New Zealand!).
Reply to
MartinS

Be kind to your web-footed friends, For a duck may be somebody's mother. Be kind to your friends in the swamp Where the weather is always damp. You may think that this is the end; Well, it is!

Reply to
MartinS

Like "British Intelligence" or "Canadian Armed Forces"? ;-))

Reply to
MartinS

In message , MartinS writes

Never mind the quality ......

Reply to
John Sullivan

These decoders are very reasonably priced, certainly worth the small extra over the non-emf ones, and I am using the benefits of this facility when running single locos.

The problem occurs when 'double-heading' due to the way the back-emf works, as with all these type of decoders. The current to the motor is controlled by the rotational speed of the armature in between the power pulses, and when in single loco mode this is fine. When you add another loco, whether equipped with a back-emf chip or not, you end up with the back-emf chipped loco fighting the other loco, due to the external speed influences, if you can follow that! hence the need to disable ONLY when 'double-heading' or 'consisting'. This has nothing to do with start speeds or speed curves. Lenz provided the facility to disable this using CVs on their earlier chips, for this very reason, but I can't find this on the 1035, nor has Mackay Models, who have been very supportive and helpful. They will be asking Lenz direct for me...

Martin

Reply to
Martin

"John Sullivan"

How do you mean, "Quality"?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

"John Sullivan" <

That may be "American" practice so I won't argue that point. When I was in another profession and responsible for purchasing inventory for the Canadian dyestuff division of an international chemical/dyestuffs/pharmaceutical corporation, I was never impressed with American quality control.

Yes. The all those units on the head end are considered one locomoitve. That's why, in the early days, many road numbered the "F" units as, for example, 4000a, 4000b, 4000c as all three units, were considered one locomoitve, even if they weren't connected with a solid drawbar.

Defined, I believe, as "Mid-train helpers". Not part of the "locomotive consist". Must admit that I'm not fully conversant with the rules covering manned or remote mid train helpers.

LOL.

Mainly a "foamer" thing but copied modellers. Yes, in Canada is "modellers". Officially, Canada uses UK spellings in about 95% of the case. Notable exceptions are "aluminum" and "tire/s". Those round synthetic rubber things that are used on motor vehicles.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.