URGENT please to existing customers with back-orders!

Hi,
Before anyone calls me an idiot I hold my hand up and claim utter insantity.
I know all about backing-up records, but like most people I'll do it
tomorrow.
Between Christmas and New Year the HDD on my shop computer disintigrated,
and as a result I lost all my customer data and their back-orders.
I'd therefore be extremely grateful if all customers who have back-orders
with me would be kind enough to get in touch as soon as possible and
re-affirm their orders and also give me all their personal details again
(name, address, phone number and card details). This is particularly
important for those with Bachmann green Deltics on order, as our initial
allocation was completely sold-out and I want to be sure that all who
ordered these actually get them. They're hopefully expected fairly soon.
Sincere apologies for any inconvenience, and you'll be delighted to know
that a back-up regime is now firmly in place,
Best wishes,
John Turner,
53A Models, Hull, UK.
To reply to this email or posting please visit the

website
click on the *email us* facility and use the correspondence form provided
Reply to
John Turner
"John Turner" wrote
Surely you're just invoking the Sanity Clause in your Ts & Cs, or doesn't that exist?
(Apologies to the Marx brothers!!!)
Paul
Reply to
Paul Boyd
"Paul Boyd" wrote
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Backups are for sissies :-)
Brian
Reply to
Brian McMahon
... besides I'm sure that you remember me paying in advance months ago for the Hornby live steam, 6 Heljen Hymeks and the custom run of Backman wagons you were acting as agent for :-)
(Always worth a try)
Reply to
Chris Wilson
"Brian McMahon" wrote
I'll be a cissie in future! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
.... custom run of Backman wagons ~~~~~~
The shame, the shame ....
Reply to
Chris Wilson
In message , John Turner writes
What are you going to do when the backups fail as well?
Reply to
John Sullivan
"John Sullivan" wrote
Invest in Hornby shares?
John.
Reply to
John Turner
As this has happened to me before, more than once (cringe), I now save my contact details on a CD-RW disk instead of the Hard-Drive! It takes a little longer, but gives me the best chance of carrying on after a disaster!
David.
Reply to
David F.
"David F." wrote
Now saving both to HDD and CD-R (bugger the CD-RW as CD-R is cheap enough to dump after 48 hours) PLUS uploading to some anonymous webspace I have access to, so retrievable from anywhere ............. if you know where to look! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Can I suggest that if this contains customer account details etc which have not been strongly encrypted that you delete it from the website immediately. Automatic websearching programs will very quickly find it and it will get into the hands of criminals.
Alan
Reply to
Alan P Dawes
"Alan P Dawes" wrote
No it won't, because I was joking. ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Time to get a RAID-1 set-up methinks. And use CD-R.
Reply to
Mark W
In message , Mark W writes
That's a bit OTT methinks. What is really required is this:
The Bio-Optic Organised Knowledge device is a revolutionary break-through in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it. Compact and portable it can be used anywhere - even sitting in an armchair by the fire - yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disc.
The device is constructed of sequential sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence.
Opaque Paper Technology (OPT) allows manufacturers to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now BOOKs with more information simply use more pages. Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into the brain. A flick of the finger takes the user to the next sheet.
BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.
BOOK never crashes or needs rebooting, though, like other devices, it can become damaged if coffee is spilled on it and it become unusable if dropped too many time on a hard surface. The "browse" feature allow the user to move instantly to any sheet, and move backwards and forwards at will.
Many come with an "index" feature, which pinpoints the exact location of any selected information for instant retrieval.
Users can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with optional programming tools - Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Styli.
Reply to
John Sullivan
John,
Don't feel too bad about it - I don't think I've heard of anyone who hasn't learnt the hard way about doing backups - and that includes people like myself who've been working with computers for 20 years or more!
regards, phil
Reply to
Phil Stubbington