Bachmann supply problems?

I popped into my local model railway shop today, hoping to lay my hands on a couple of Bachmann coaches. I specifically wanted the Mk1 BSK and BCK in blood and custard livery. Although the shop had a CK and a BG in crimson, they had no blood and custard coaches at all. The proprietor informed me that the blood and custard Mk1s are becoming more and more difficult to get hold of.

Now, I have noticed a problem with other Bachmann coaches before. I am particularly interested in the LMS panelled stock, but only the "parcel van" (actually a full brake) seems to be readily available. I have an order for these coaches with one online stockist that has been outstanding for over a month.

I can understand the older LMS panelled stock being in short supply, but it seems odd that the Bachmann Mk1s should also be difficult to get. Or is it simply the blood and custard stock that presents a problem? My local shop proprietor claimed that blood and custard is an unpopular livery.

I don't really have a problem with repainting. Repainting models could allow me to have stock with faded paint, which would provide a nice contrast to other coaches in the rake. However, I am rather concerned about the possibility of supply problems from Bachmann. IIRC, the blood and custard BSK was only released in 2003.

Any comments on this matter from the retailers on the group?

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I'm not a retailer but its now standard practice with the manufacturers to produce in batches, you have to either buy when they first come out or wait for the next batch which may well be a couple of years. Check the availability listing at

to see what's coming up. (you may have to reassemble the link if it wraps or just go to

and click on 'branchline' then 'coaches'. Cheers Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

I popped into my local model railway shop today, hoping to lay my hands on a

According to the Bachmann dealer website - not updated since 14/11/03 -

39-227 BCK crimson/cream and 39-077A BSK crimson cream are still available.

These are not showing as available.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

However, I am rather concerned about the

Hi Enzo

We have plenty of all these in stock as per our website listings.

Bachmanns supply problems will probably ease during 2004 when they get more factory production time from Kader.

Regards

Richard Hattons

Reply to
Richard Davies

Thanks, Richard. I usually get my stuff from you, but I popped into my local shop on the off chance. I must admit, I'm not a great fan of my local shop. He always seems to want to sell me what he thinks I should have. He was quite keen to sell me some Hornby Pullmans, but couldn't understand that my layout is a LM secondary line and so was very unlikely to see Pullmans at all. But, to give him his due, he did me a good deal on Code 75 track about a year ago.

And..... he had a Hornby Class 50 up and running in the shop. I wavered.... :-)