støjdæmpning

Klaus, hvad bruger Du under dine spor? Jeg har lidt svært ved at finde de planlagte korkfliser...

-sm

Reply to
Søren Monies

Well, I'm not Klaus, but I'll tell you what I use under the track, might be useful information for you.

I use pre-made cork strip (if you have difficulty finding it, I can supply some, but it'll cost you trans-antlantic postage. On the other hand, it's very cheap here, so let me know.)

However, I'm going to try artist's foam board on a small (roughly

70cmx70cm) N-scale portable display layout. This is the stuff made from a thin (3 or 5mm)layer of foam with thin card on both sides. You should be able to find some at an artists' supply store, or at a sign-making shop.

Sorry, I neither speak nor write Danish, but I can sort of read it. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Søren Monies" wrote

This is a uk based group and bearing in mind our tendency to shout louder at people who do not understand English, would you not have been better employed trying to make yourself understood?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Seeing that it seems to have been a person to person message it might have been better to have sent it via email to the correct person, rather than the whole world !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wolf,

I've tried foamboard as an underlay on a 7mm layout and did not like it. It has no sound deadening properties at all and, if anything, the thin card acts as a sounding board and amplifies any noise. :-)

Also the thicknesses seem to be nominal and don't expect any two bits of board of nominally the same thickness to match. I spent a lot of time packing under edges to get them level. At the moment, the track is in the process of being ripped up and will be relaid on the 6mm foam sheet that C&L provide.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I am very, very sorry if I have hurt anyones feelings mr Turner, If it's any consolation, I read this group because of the common sense and polite behaviour prevalent here ;-)

And thanks to mr Kirchmeir and mr Guthrie who obviously both got the question right. I have used cork tiles before -cut them up in strips and glued them with white carpenters glue to the baseboard. The lack of raw material has put the cork business out of whack in this country, so tiles are hard to get. It was really an attempt to save money as ready made strips are pretty expensive here. Thanks for the offer of sending them over but I think there are a couple of materials I haven't tried yet. One of them is a board not unlike the Homasote brand from the US.

I'll let this remind me to look closer which usenet group I'm posting to... :-|

Cheers, Søren

Reply to
Søren Monies

Although my 'English' wife speaks three languages (Italian and Fourlan in addition to English).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"Søren Monies" wrote

Certainly didn't hurt my feelings, or did you miss my feeble attempt at humour in suggesting that the English do not do foreign languages very well. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm certain that it was not Soeren's intention to post his message to uk.rec.models.rail, otherwise he would have written it in English.

What impress me, actually, is that Soeren in spite of having written in Danish was understood and received a couple of good answers. Bravo!

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Yes, we English are dragging ourselves out of the dark ages, slowly.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

"Erik Olsen" wrote

Aye, but were either of the replies from the UK? Wolf Kirchmeir is from Canada, but I'm not sure from where Jim Guthrie hails?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish...

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Manx, Channel Islanders, etc, etc.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Jim Guthrie is from the UK.

BTW I don't see anything wrong with people that are not from UK participating in this group. You may argue about the language - mind you the use of Danish was not intentional - but whether we are from UK, Canada, USA, Denmark or Germany, the modelling techniques are much the same, and sharing information and ideas is in fact the whole idea of usenet groups.

You are of course equally welcome to visit my website for ideas, there are quite a few pages in English. The English start page is

Erik Olsen

Yate, S. Gloucestershire, but formerly Clydeside. :-)

The nearest I ever got to speaking Danish was employing a young Danish lady some years ago, but since she spoke perfect English, my knowledge of Danish did not need to be expanded from zero :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Erik Olsen" <

Very nice modelling indeed.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I thought the Welsh had already come out of the dark ages, judging by the result at the Millennium Stadium today.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Erik Olsen" wrote

Absolutely, I've no problem with *anyone* from anywhere in the world using this group - providing it's used within the general terms of the FAQ (which is posted on here from time-to-time) although those posted in the (one-time) standard lanaguage of English are more likely to get a response.

Welcome aboard! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sure, but I didn't know how to interpret your question "but were either of the replies from the UK?" as if that did matter at all.

Thank you; I've been reading the group since 1997 and contributing since

1999 :-)
Reply to
Erik Olsen

You are dragging them out with you?

I think the Republic of Ireland has done a pretty good job on its own.

Reply to
MartinS