Steel bodied open wagons

Hi, Please can anyone tell me when the ordinary steel bodied open goods wagons (not mineral wagons) went out of everyday use (not departmental use). I mean the sort like the old Hornby Dublo model produced with a plastic body. Thanks, Roger

Reply to
Roger Thomas

"Roger Thomas" wrote

Do you mean this one?

and what do you mean by 'departmental use'? What was traditionally recognised by British Railways as such, is now just another type of revenue traffic to the freight operators on the privatised railway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The last in 'revenue service' would have probably lasted until 1979/80 (the wood bodied ones lasted a bit longer, as they were used on the china-clay trains to the Potteries into the early 1980s). One or two of the ex-LNER design stayed on into Departmental use until the 1990s, whilst one (which had been converted to air-brakes) lasted at Paddock Wood until this year. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Hello John, Yes, the picture is the one I mean. By 'Departmental' I mean things like engineers' use. Roger

Reply to
Roger Thomas