Strange goings on on Bachmann's web site

And who says theres no 'young blood' in the hobby. I was well into my second career by then, UNIX admin inc DNS, mail and news servers was a extra bit of my job. When I did computer science as a subsid subject at university the only game available was dropping a pack of cobol punch cards on the floor and then see what the compiler thought.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Nah, the best game was emptying the chads from the card punch and throwing them over the person sitting next too you and shouting "It's Snowing!" This was as 14/15 yr olds, not undergrads.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote Nah, the best game was emptying the chads from the card punch and throwing them over the person sitting next too you and shouting "It's Snowing!" This was as 14/15 yr olds, not undergrads.

MBQ

Hmmm. Did that with the hole punches, but "chads" I think are a bit before my time !

But I do see the funny side, he he !!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Only 20 years or so. Couldnt do that at our school, nearest thing to a computer was those calculators with ratchet arms.

Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , Andy Sollis CVMRD writes

They are dangerous. I bet you wouldn't be laughing if you got one or more in your eye.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Luxury! We had to use log tables. We only got the hand-cranked calculators at university.

Reply to
MartinS

MartinS said the following on 09/01/2007 04:09:

I've still got my log tables book at home from school. I don't think they'll need it back after all this time!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I've got my K+E slide rule, too, in its original case.

Reply to
MartinS

I have _two_ of them. I tried to interest my grandson (then in grade

10/4th form) in calculating by slide rule, but he just looked at me strangely...
Reply to
Wolf

My grandson (2) is just learning to count: "One, two, five!" I wonder what he will think of a slide rule in 2020?

Reply to
MartinS

MartinS said the following on 09/01/2007 17:22:

Slide rules - I'd forgotten them! For various reasons, I took both CSE and O-Level maths (and A-Level, but failed!). In one you weren't allowed to use a calculator, but in the other you were (can't remember which way round now!) Anyway, the one where you weren't allowed to use a calculator (CSE, I think), you were allowed to use a slide rule. So I learnt to use a slide rule for the exam, and funnily enough I was the only one who did! I wonder what happened to it?

Reply to
Paul Boyd