Strange goings on on Bachmann's web site

I know this one! :o)
It depends on the product. If it is "unreasonable" for a product to be found defective after a certain period of time then the seller is liable. Of course "unreasonable" can be any timescale between a few minutes and several years, depending on the judge! :o)
(kim)
Reply to
kim
Thanks, so if the wheel flanges were bent - but from manufacturing not later wacked - or there was lots of flash round the chassis then 18 months wouldnt be unreasonable.
Certain retailer wait for revelation !
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Yes it would (be unreasonable) as the purchaser is already deemed to have accepted the goods. There is a period of grace in which the purchaser has time to determine if a product has a manufacturing defect or not. A judge would not consider 18 months to be a reasonable period of time before a fault such as you describe was first discovered. A week is more likely unless there were extenuating circumstances such as an illness preventing the product from being examined.
BTW, I have replaced a "faulty" CD after two years of use even though it had obviously been played to death during that period but only because the purchaser was a very good customer. He has since paid me back over a thousandfold.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
months wouldnt
Be prepared to prove that the flange damage was due to faulty manufacture though, also how come it's taken 18 months to find out...
Reply to
Jerry
I'm not an engineer although did take material science as a subsidury course 30 years ago - there were no fracture or scratch marks and no thinning. Would take a special effort to reproduce after manufacture.
Reply to
simon
18 months would still be considered an excessive delay in discovering the defect.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
"simon" wrote
An item legally has to be of saleable quality for a reasonable period of time bearing in min the price paid. Therefore I would expect that to be longer on a highly expensive LCD TV than say on biro.
Manufacturers can give additional warranties in addition to their statutory obligations. Hornby for instance promise a three months' guarantee, whereas Bachmann offer six months. Gaugemaster used to give (and still do I think) a lifetime guarantee on their controllers.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Jerry" wrote
Thanks for the number Jerry. It was previously an 020 number....
Yes, your correct, e-mail and newsgroups are getting through, but website still elude me. I can access the router setups via http://192.168.1.1 but can't find any of the above on any of the available pages ? (I have just double checked)
Unsure if both programmes would restrict access ? It also stops e-mails with pictures inserted being shown (Probably HTML e-mails)
Thanks so far, may give the company a bell tomorrow.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote in message
Andy,
I have the same router. Whenever I have had any problems with it, I have just unplugged the power for a few seconds and it has reset itself. I presume that you have tried that.
Now what's wrong with giving the Foxfield and Wimblebury a small plug as they were running on New Years Day when we weren't? All CVR Volunteers had been invited for a free ride with mince pies and sherry so how did you miss that?
It's convinced me that I want a Hornby R2556. We might borrow it one day.
Have a good new year.
Dave W.
Dave, Nothing wrong with giving them a plug, just don't forget "Us" !!!
See you Saturday am ??
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk...
I've found Comet to be very helpful with electrical goods. Given the date of purchase from credit card statement, they were able to print a duplicate receipt from the till.
We had to exchange a faulty Xmas present at Woolies without a receipt. The CC statement showed a totally different amount as we had bought several item but they were still happy to exchange or refund in vouchers. The only problem was that we couldn't prove how much we had paid and could only be refunded the price on that day, which could have been less than we paid if it was in the half-price sale.
I find it's rarely a problem with reputable high street traders.
Up to 6 years for an item expected to last that long. Much shorter if you buy el-cheapo and should have known better. It's all down to what you can reasonably expect of what you are buying.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
"David Westerman" wrote
All CVR Volunteers had been invited for a free ride with mince pies and sherry so how did you miss that? Dave W.
Easy, Martin and I went to Wirksworth for a ride there and a sit in a 31 ! (Whilst the Wife was at work!) We didn't go to Foxfield or our own railway on the principle that the Commercial manager had given us the day off !
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
Heres a simple start of how to solve your problem, try the following :-
Try ping (use command prompt and type ping then network address). eg ping 194.159.245.16 If that works (you get a reply) then try ping
(keeping on topic).
If that fails, let us know cos its your DNS.
Then try to access that site in explorer use :- http://194.159.245.16/hpsite/index.htm If that works then try
Let us know, ready for next stage.
PS what security software are you using, and do you have win2k firewall ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Simon, It appears to fail at the pinging of the web address, but gives some good figures when done by the network address.
Can you e-mail me off list and I can send you a screen shot of the results ?
My edited (and correct) address is below
Andy _______________________________________________________________
Heres a simple start of how to solve your problem, try the following :-
Try ping (use command prompt and type ping then network address). eg ping 194.159.245.16 If that works (you get a reply) then try ping
(keeping on topic).
If that fails, let us know cos its your DNS.
Then try to access that site in explorer use :- http://194.159.245.16/hpsite/index.htm If that works then try
Let us know, ready for next stage.
PS what security software are you using, and do you have win2k firewall ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
Sorted !
It was the DNS server. Thanks to someone in an Indian call centre !
Andy
Heres a simple start of how to solve your problem, try the following :-
Try ping (use command prompt and type ping then network address). eg ping 194.159.245.16 If that works (you get a reply) then try ping
(keeping on topic).
If that fails, let us know cos its your DNS.
Then try to access that site in explorer use :- http://194.159.245.16/hpsite/index.htm If that works then try
Let us know, ready for next stage.
PS what security software are you using, and do you have win2k firewall ?
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote in message news:enllqb$kle$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...
That's why the test gave good results when you bypassed the DNS look up. Was the fault your end or theirs?
Reply to
Jerry
"Jerry" wrote
Hmm, Now I'm not sure how to answer that one. Nothing had been changed at my end when it stopped working, and when going into the settings he talked me through, it was still set for auto allocation of IP address and DNS server address. We loaded a web page by inputting the IP address in IE and it worked, but by typing the web address it timed out.
We then manually input the DNS server numbers and it worked first time !
With a GCSE and A level in computing, I still have no idea if this was something I had inadvertantly changed or what ? I'll let you draw your own conclusion. !
But thank you very much for taking the time to find me the telephone number that I rang ! It was worth the 10 mins of listening to Xmas carols and the automated indian woman advising me to check the web site for problem solving ! If I could, I would not have needed to phone my dear !!
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD
Yep thats right, showed straight away as the DNS server address you were trying to use. Unless youve changed ISP or your connection in some way then they have stopped prividing a correct response to auto allocation of DNS Server. Hence manually adding the DNS address fixed it.
Although TCP/IP is quite old, it didnt become mainstream until 10-15 years ago so tis unlikely it would be in the syllabus when you did your 'A' level - or am i being presumptious !
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote
Although TCP/IP is quite old, it didnt become mainstream until 10-15 years ago so tis unlikely it would be in the syllabus when you did your 'A' level - or am i being presumptious !
Cheers, Simon
Erm, As I did mine on a BBC Archimedes, your more than correct in many ways. We only had 3 PC's in the school to my knowledge at the time (1993-5) and at that time if they were 286's I would be guessing ! Oh, how so long ago it seems !
And the only network we had was the BBC Model B's to the BBC B Master (With the now standard side number pad) How odd it all seemed back then.
You thought it brill cos you had a new computer game that came on 4 floppy discs (which were infact hard !) - Now you get them on 4 CD's !!!
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Site Timeline