Triang Pickle Wagons

Rather an improbable vehicle, surely.

Was there ever anything resembling a prototype for this? If not, why invent it? Was it some sort of an in-joke at Triang? (I can see that the name Westwood Pickles is a reference to Triang's address)

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

From their Trans-Continetal range as far as I can ascertain. I believe one of the USA manufacturers produce(d) something similar, so it's feasible that there was an American prototype.

Quite a rarity in my experience. Probably only had half-a-dozen through my hands in 25 years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There was a US prototype - Right number of vats, wheels etc but don't mention 'scale'.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , John Turner writes

There is indeed a prototype, and a whole range of pickle cars were produced in the US by Lionel, in O gauge - there are around 40 variations :

Several Tri-ang vehicles, particularly novelty transcontinental, were copies of Lionel O gauge items. There must have been a connection at the time (mid 60s?), as I seem to recall that Lionel made the 'Inventor' series for Tri-ang. I had the Bell telephone set, probably around 1965.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

There were a number of private owner pickle tank cars running on US railroads, until at least the mid-1950s. Apart from the well known Heinz cars - which Westerfield do resin kits for - other companies included Speas Vinegar Co., Reid, Murdoch and Co./Monarch Pickles, Squire Dingee Co., India Relish and C.F. Clausen & Sons. Heinz cars of a similar design were built as late as 1948. So you see, there is a prototype for just about anything!

Reply to
Mark Newton

In the UK there was at least one tank wagon operated by (IIRC) the Scottish Fish Oil and Guano Company - Now that is a business card I would enjoy handing out!

Reply to
Mike

Brilliant! :-)

(But can you imagine what their premises must have smelt like???)

Reply to
Mark Newton

An opened tin of fish and a bag of guano under the layout probably wouldn't do it justice!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Reminds me of the character Colonel 'Bat' Guano in "Dr. Strangelove"; others were General 'Buck' Turgidson and Brig. Gen. Jack D. Ripper. One of the three characters played by a certain Peter Sellers was U.S. President Merkin Muffley.

Reply to
MartinS

Well I never!

I recall my father telling me he'd had dealings with a company called Activated Sludge. Another business card to treasure!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

Just as long as it's not a scratch 'n' sniff one ;-)

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Yes, I was surprised when I first learnt of them.

I reckon! But what on earth do you do with activated sludge?

Reply to
Mark Newton

MartinS
Reply to
Mark Newton

But you did!

Reply to
MartinS

In article , Graeme Eldred writes

There was an old friendship between the Lines (Tri-ang) and Lionel families and they would visit each others factories looking for ideas. Indeed, Tri-ang later made helicopters for Lionel's helicopter launch car. It was a two-way flow of ideas.

Tri-ang produced three versions of the pickle car the rarest being the Heinz version which was made for the Canadian market.

The Inventors and Science series were indeed Lionel products made over here and sold as Tri-ang/Lionel in the early '60s. In exchange, Lionel made Scalextric in America. I think they got the better bargain!

Pat Hammond

Reply to
Pat Hammond

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I recently heard an explanation of the Tri-ang name: there were three Lines brothers, and three lines make a triangle!

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

I think it was a recent edition of Mastermind or University Challenge; one of the BBC2 Monday night quizzes, anyhow.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

In message , Pat Hammond writes

Thanks Pat - very useful, and interesting.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred