Turntable

It was still there as part of the museum when I last visited. You can see a small tank engine on it in:

Alan for

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Some of the smaller GWR turntables could be fitted with angled extension bars to allow larger locos to be turned. If my memory is right an example is Minehead which originally had a 45ft turntable but when bulldogs and

43XX locos they could be turned by the use of extension bars to increase the length to 50ft. as a temporary measure until the larger turntable was insatlled. Googling for this came up with
Alan
Reply to
Alan P Dawes

I was not aware of that. The Atlas N gauge table is over 7 inches which gives an equivalent length of 90 feet.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

The Atlas HO and N turntables are both the same size, just some alterations to the moulds are made for HO vs N gauge rail spacing. Their first HO turntable stopped at 12 positions and the N TT stopped at

  1. Circa 10 years ago the 12 position HO TT was replaced by the 24 position version. These all have a "Geneva" mechanisim which causes the table to slow and stop at each track position. The table length is 230mm, in HO equivalent to 20.25m which is close enough to 20m, which was the standard DRG turntable length prior to the Einheits 23m tables required for the large Pacifics and 2-10-0s introduced in the mid 1920s. IOW it's long enough for smaller Pacifics. ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

But only 17.5m or 57.5ft at 4mm/ft scale. Too short for 00 Gresley or Stanier Pacifics.

Reply to
MartinS

Wouldn't that do for a 4-6-0/2-8-0? Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It would be tight. Hornby Class 5 4-6-0 & tender has a wheelbase of 220mm; length over buffers is 260mm.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks Bill

I guessed it was something of that size. I'm still at the planning stage and have ordered some ready made baseboards up to 3'4" in width narrowing to

2' (15' long.) Intend to have a station layout with a fiddle yard at narrow end. . May have to put a turntable at the fiddle yard end and run light engines through as per Kings Cross in steam days.

John

Reply to
John Firth

The one I have is a kit with no motor, although I have seen a drive motor for it in a hobby shop.

Reply to
MartinS

I have the Heljan turntable, the only problem I have is that when it turns 180 degrees, it does not line up accurately, it is almost the width of a rail out. I have had to halve the error and not have it

100% lined up both ways Does anyone else with one have this problem, or have I got the lemon.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"MartinS" wrote

Heljan now do a fully assembled, motorised turntable. In fact I sold one today!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Were you affected by the high water levels, John?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Damn! Mine cost $25 at a swapmeet.

Reply to
MartinS

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Long story I guess, but in a nutshell both shop and home escaped the floods even though we were subjected to the monsoon conditions. There was heavy flooding in many parts of Hull, the nearest about half-a-mile from the shop.

In North Lincolnshire we had around 4½ inches of rain in twelve hours, but Barton remained upon Humber not in it. Again there were heavy floods within three miles, and we struggled to get to out for our pub lunch yesterday (Monday's our day off). The main A1077 was closed in nearby Barrow upon Humber and there was isolated pockets of flood water in many nearby communities.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's what mine is.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

This continued on for most of the LNER days as well - B17 numbers

2800-47 ('Sandringhams') were built with short-wheelbase tenders based on the GE 3700 gallon type used with the B12s. Later members of the class (the 'Footballer' ones) had the larger Group Standard 4200 gallon one.

Did anyone ever do a RTR model of the 'Sandringham' B17s with a short tender? The only B17 models I've ever seen are the 'Footballer' ones.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"Graham Thurlwell" wrote

Not to my knowledge.