USA vs UK ?

Up until a few year ago the Royal Mail van driver who normally delivered larger items would also accept payment provided it was the correct amount as he could not give change. Parcel Force were still collecting payment at the door but their minimum charge of £13 for a Japanese CD made it uneconomic to use.

BTW I'm on your side have already alerted post office union activists as to what is happening in Holland. No offence intended but I suggest you start looking for an alternative occupation while there is still time.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

For an extra 50p charge I can have charged items delivered to a "local" post office for collection by me but since all the ones around here were all closed a few years ago that is now a moot point. Shortly after they were closed the main sorting office refused to accept any mail which was not prepaid so I have to make one journey to the sorting office to collect charged items, then another journey to the main post office to send outgoing items. The main post office is now being closed (along with 70 other main post offices around the country) and its business transferred to W.H.Smith. The main sorting office is also being closed and it's business moved to another depot 35 miles away. I fully expect the surviving rump of Royal Mail to be sold to Rupert Murdoch and be renamed "Royal TNT Mail" as it was in Holland.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

Not likely! I'll wait until the b******s shut me down, open my hand for the pay-off, and quietly retire :-)

Reply to
Graeme

The local postie leaves cards for items requiring a signature only. The ones that require payment are be sorted before they even get to the local postie. If one slips through the net he'll probably deliver it without bothering with the charge to avoid the hassle of carrying for the rest of the round and taking it back to the depot.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Far more than a couple of months round here.

What's worse is that things sent by express parcel which arrive in the UK as Parcel Farce 48hr service are now delayed in the UK far longer than 48hrs. I kicked up a fuss on one parcel and got a refund of the shipping fees.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" writes

There are two different cards; the standard red and white 'while you were out' card, and a grey and white card for payments required. The payment required may be anything from underpaid inland postage to VAT or customs duties.

Indeed - which is why the postie delivers the grey and white card, not the parcel.

Agreed - it is not the job of the postie to know (or care) whether or not outstanding payments have been paid. Having said that, the posties in my office always refer any such item to me, for clearance, before delivering.

Reply to
Graeme