Best Rated threads in ⚡ Welding Forumsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tig- converting to water cooled torch- help
Hi all, What changes do I have to make to a Lincoln 175 TIG machine if I want to use a water cooled tig torch like a CK 200? It comes with a WP-9 gas cooled torch. Torch gets too darn hot. Do you...
4
4

Repair Costs For Welders
Well, much to my dismay this is something I can chime in on with some variables to add. I have a heavy production machine I use for fabrication of mostly alum. and sheetmetal intake manifolds for race...
7
7

35 amp transformer wanted
I build 10-11 volt power supplies for my repeater's transmitters. Since they pull around 20-25 amps I've been using 35 amp/12v rated transformers and pulling a few windings off to get 10 volts AC. The...
1
1

used stick welders Miller vs. Lincoln
I agree 100% with Keiths comments. As has been discussed...Im something of a scrounger to a very small degree...and seldom does one encounter a Miller welder of any type in a home or farm/shop/garage...
20
20

welding scene by charlies angels girls
just rented the movie. although most of the movie had stunts which were highly unbelievable (as was the poor plot) there was a convincing scene showing the girls (cameron diaz, drew barrymore and lucy...
7
7

TIG electrodes: thoria vs lanthanum
I'm about to make my annual pigrimage to the welding supply store. Very soon I'm going to be doing a lot of critical TIG welds (fillets) in 3/16" A36 or A500 steel. I've read that the 2% thoria is...
20
20

Gas lens for Miller 180SD?
Where can I find a gas lens and pyrex cups for the original air-cooled torch on a Miller 180SD. I looked on the CK website, but they do not cross reference the gas lens to other torches. I'm also...
15
15

Out of position welding of aluminum. TIG? Or MIG?
Gentlemen, I have an old (1978) 30 foot aluminum dump trailer ("gravel bucket) that is in need of some welding TLC. It is shot through with fatigue cracking. While I do not remember the exact alloy,...
7
7

Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 AC/DC/ Tig question
It's not a bad buy. Does it have the Hi Freq unit? You'll need that for aluminum especially.
9
9

tig brazing
I tried my hand at tig brazing and I have one quick question, should there be all sorts of crap all over the metal when I'm done? I tried it on two pieced of .035" 4130 tube running 20 amps with 1/16...
2
2

polishing aluminum welds?
hello all. I'm wondering if there are any tricks to nice shiny welds with polished aluminum. I tried a T-Joint with two pieces of tube, both sanded down to 600 grit paper. After I welded the pieces...
1
1

20amp or 15 amp breaker with 110 mig
Someone here once posted that if you use a 20amp breaker for the circuit that your 110 mig is on, it'll weld a lot better. I'm confused as to the reason for this. If I'm not tripping the 15 amp...
9
9

Did Miller buy out Hobart or what?
Was at my favorite welding supply place today to pick up some rods. Noticed a stick welder on the florr that looked exactly like my Hobart 'cept color was different and it had Miller on it.
1
1

Comparison Millar Syncrowave 250 DX -V- Lincoln Precision TIG 275
I've searched this newsgroup looking for comparisons and opinions on these two machines, just can't decide which way to go based on their brochures. My requirement is for a AC/DC TIG for the home...
1
1

C25 argon cylinders pros and cons and shelf life question
Hi all, I have been welding with a flux core wire and finally decided to upgrade to C25 (Argon/CO2 mix). I have questions about equipment that I need to buy: 1) I am debating whether to get 40 cu ft...
5
5

Best way to hold exhaust pipe together for Tig tacking
Next week I will be welding 304 stainless steel exhaust pipe together. I found that the most important thing in doing this was good fit and tight joints. So far everytime I have tried this in the past...
10
10

Rig welding-Rod oven trick
Thought I would share something I was made aware of the other day. I am running a 1997 lincoln Classic 3 D on my welding rig. I have the 110 volt AC power plugs and also the 230 Volt AC plug ins. I...
4
4

Making a welder out of an old transformer.
Making a welder out of an old transformer. Seeing the post a while back about the burnt out 3 phase transformer has got me thinking again. After getting my old Forney welder, I have been playing...

Generico
I bought a bunch of welding stuff. I looked in the treasure chest and saw a set of regulators and hoses and torch. The torch had a rosebud on it, and a cutting head separate. A lot of welding and...
4
4

Arc start question: Miller Synchrowave 250 vs Lincoln Precision TIG 275
I just finished a 2 day TIG class - my first time welding. We welded small (maybe 14 gauge) stainless plates. I used a Miller Synchrowave 250, but near the end of the class I switched to a Lincoln...
2
2