Don't breathe the smoke.

Loud places excepted, this is the reason most right handed pipe welders wear soft brimmed caps (with no top button) with the brim pulled firmly down over their left ear.

IMHE nothing works very well under a vehicle as the sparks will randomly bounce a long way. Leather helps, as does buttoning up your shirt neck.

One of the protection areas often ignored is the exposure to welding UV on the neck. In the hot weather it is nicer to weld with my shirt neck open but this has caused UV burning on my neck and I am always fearful of future skin problems from repeated over exposure. I solved the problem by placing a small piece of soft leather on my mask to hang over and shield my neck. It is small enough not to be in the way when I lift my mask

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

Dont weld naked? Why the hell not?!

Ive welded naked for nearly 30 yrs with no problems!!

See!

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yabut you were wearing BOOTS!

Reply to
RAM³

I've been fortunate, I've never had a spark land in my ear. I often catch myself not wearing hearing protection (I grabbed plugs on way to boat) but was chatting with someone, climb into tank or to other side of a bulkhead, worked for a while, then got deafened when someone started their high noise evolution. I quickly drop my stinger, gun, torch, whatever and grab those earplugs!

My worst scars come from getting packed into a crack or crevice and having to carbon-arc. The spaces I get put into, there's nowhere for the dross to go but back on me. I've learned to arc with minimal air, just trying to drip it out of the joint very carefully.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

But of course! Safety MUST be observed.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well, duh. You can't weld when you're hopping. And like Burt Reynolds in that movie with Demi Moore, if you use enough Vaseline, the dingleberries just bounce off you and don't stick. But he liked Vaseline in his boots. Never tried that, but there's always Fridays............

Steve

Reply to
SteveB