FS. Lincoln Tig 250/250

zadoc wrote: "With computers and data mining almost anything is possible. If you recently broke your wrist, she may even know about that. Or at least could know about that. Depends on what info your local bank knows about you and can provide to her, doesn't it?

After all, that is what data mining is all about. By posting your post to the group, don't be surprised if you suddenly receive phone calls, emails, or postal offers for "genuine US brand knives". :-) "

No, data mining is about data analysis, not data collection (sneaky or otherwise). Data mining involves statistics, machine learning and pattern recognition. Where the data comes from is another matter.

-W. Dwinnell

P.S. Doesn't Gerber
still make knives in the United States?

Reply to
Predictor

zadoc wrote: "With computers and data mining almost anything is possible. If you recently broke your wrist, she may even know about that. Or at least could know about that. Depends on what info your local bank knows about you and can provide to her, doesn't it?

After all, that is what data mining is all about. By posting your post to the group, don't be surprised if you suddenly receive phone calls, emails, or postal offers for "genuine US brand knives". :-) "

No, data mining is about data analysis, not data collection (sneaky or otherwise). Data mining involves statistics, machine learning and pattern recognition. Where the data comes from is another matter.

-W. Dwinnell

P.S. Doesn't Gerber
still make knives in the United States?

Reply to
Predictor

I just checked my canned goods and couldn't find much about country of origin. The mayonnaise, pop corn and tomato sauce have the US as country of origin. Most only had the distribution companies as being in the US but nothing about where the products themselves came from. We have several tomato canneries in this area and one company that makes things like pizza sauce. Now *that* company is Japanese owned (Kagome

and, as far as I know, they send many of their products back to Japan. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Ah yes, Sue, but suppose I were to import shiploads of bulk vegetables or fruits, then put them in cans in the US. Would I be required to label my cans as to content?

...Or could I have "Zadoc" brand vegetables on the grounds that my company canned them?

Not that it really matters for practical purposes as buyers of canned goods seldom read the fine print on the cans anyway. :-)

Posting from misc.survivalism.

Cheers, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com.au

Reply to
zadoc

zadoc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If they were imported in cans then yes. Imported in bulk, then canned in the US, then no they don't require a country of origin label.

As usual the regulations are old and complicated. Here is a link to some current regs and some fairly recent bills.

Reply to
D Murphy

HEY!!!!!!

How did my For Sale ad turn into a thread on imported japanese canned good??????????

Talk about thread drift....shit...

lol

Gunner The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Ellington said that? I always thought it was Basie...

Sorry. Musician's humor (or not...).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

ADD. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Reply to
D Murphy

Thanks for the link. Very interesting! An excerpt follows to encourage other readers to check it.

---------------------- "The law authorizes a series of exceptions to the labeling requirements, such as articles that are incapable of being marked or where the cost would be "economically prohibitive." One important set of exceptions is the "J List," so named for section 1304(a)(3)(J) of the statute, which empowered the Secretary of the Treasury (where Customs is located) to exempt classes of items that were "imported in substantial quantities during the five-year period immediately preceding January 1, 1937, and were not required during such period to be marked to indicate their origin."

Among the items the Secretary placed on the J List were the following agricultural products: eggs; cigars and cigarettes; feathers; flowers; raw hides; unfinished leather; livestock; fur skins; maple sugar; and "natural products, such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, berries, and live or dead animals, fish and birds; all the foregoing which are in their natural state or not advanced in any manner further than is necessary for their safe transportation." (See 19 C.F.R. 134.33.) The J List has not changed substantially since it was developed in the 1930's, according to Customs officials.

Cheers, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com.au

Reply to
zadoc

Gee, I don't get it. It sounds like the economy has not been so great. But how can that be? I thought all the Bush tax cuts have brought about a tremendous economic boom. That's what he says all the time, the economy is booming due to the tax cuts. Either the economy isn't booming or it is and your customers are stiffing you, which is probably the case if they are Republicans. Either way you're SOL.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke