Inverter welder rocks the house

I've got a tiny Lincoln Invertec V100-S welder as a backup unit for my house, and I am having problems with it.

The documentation says it requires a 20 Amp 110V circuit, and it has a 100 Amp output maximum at 15% duty cycle, or 100A/24V/15%, 85A/23.5V/20% and

70A/23V/20%.

The 100A output requires an input current of 32A on a 30 Amp branch circuit;

85A output requires 25A input on a 20 Amp circuit, and 70A output requires 20A input (no note on the circuit).

I'm trying to use an 1/8th inch E6011 on DC+ with the dial on the little unit set at 70A.

I know the 6011 should be run a little hotter than this, but every time I try getting up higher, it trips one of the 20 Amp breakers in my house.

Here's the problem: Set at 70 Amps, the arc flares on, sputters nearly out, then cycles back to on. An entire cycle takes maybe 2 seconds with me having just about as much "go time" as I have "sputter time." My wife reports that the inside of the house also seems to be experiencing a Brown Out at about the same frequency.

Is this Invertec machine bad?

Do I desperately need to use smaller rods?

Is the house wired that bad? (it was built in 1955)

Any suggestions on which way to approach this problem?

Regards, Joe

Reply to
jp2express

My guess is you're dropping voltage somewhere between the panel and the welder. This could be in a loose wirenut connection in a J-box, for example. Before you freak out I'd try the welder on several different outlets.

And you can certainly go to 3/32" rod.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You have some serious issues with your house wiring. There is a connection somewhere in the house that has a high resistance. When you put the welder load on it, it will be getting HOT as in FIRE. Your welder load is both heavy and highly variable (arc on/arc off) so it really brings out the symptoms. The welder sputtering is just telling you that it is trying to run on a way under voltage.

To troubleshoot this problem you can put a voltmeter on the mains as well as the various branch circuits and see which circuits are drooping. I'd start with the circuit that the welder is on, see how far the voltage drops. Open up the main panel and look for some blackened wires.

I d> I've got a tiny Lincoln Invertec V100-S welder as a backup unit for my

Reply to
RoyJ

Good advice! Thanks!

I just moved > You have some serious issues with your house wiring. There is a

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
RoyJ

"jp2express" wrote: (clip) I just moved into the house about 3 weeks ago, so it could very well have some wiring issues. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't rule out the possibility that the problem is out on the power pole. We fought a problem with our microwave causing dimming of the lights. I ran dedicated wiring and a dedicated bare copper ground line--nothing helped. My genius son finally figured out that it was a power company problem. The man went up the pole and fixed the problem, and came back and told us that our neighbors would soon be complaining also. All the transformer terminals were corroded.

The gieaway symptom was that while the lights on one side of the house were dimming, the lights on the other side were actually getting brighter.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I've already got a call in to the electricians.

While they are doing that, I might get a 220V plug and a 30A 110V plug in the garage! How sweet would that be?

Thanks for the note, Roy!

"RoyJ" wrote:

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
RoyJ

Stick a volt meter in the outlet and have someone watch it while you strike an arc. Digital works ok..but a meter with a needle is far far better for this. If it drops below about 90 volts...time for some rewiring.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Roy gave VERY good advice.

Gunner, industrial maint tech.

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Hell, I'd just stick my Extech meter probes in the outlet and press "Hold" on it while he was welding. Thanks, Ernie! That thing's been a godsend at work.

Reply to
John Husvar

Dont forget to show him the problem the welder is causing

Reply to
Jimmie D

Electrician came out to the house and found that it only has 75 Amp service. We are working on getting that bumped to 200 Amp with the electric company.

Thanks!

Reply to
jp2express