mig 120 volts or mig 220 volts

I need you guys opinion. I'm thinking of buying a mig really just to learn how to mig and weld thin metal. I do stick welding mainly for my farm use. I'm looking at the Hobart Handler 140 (115V) and the Hobart Handler 180 (220V). I read on this newsgroup some time ago to spend the extra money and get the 220V. I can go the exta money but it seems to me that I would be more flexable around the farm with the 115V and can use it with my 3KW generator. Any opinions?

Mac want tobe weldor.

Reply to
Mac Maxwell

Well if you are willing to shell out more cash you can buy a Miller Passport, with is a robust compact inverter based 110volt/220volt MIG system.

If you choose to go with a cheaper machine, keep in mind that a 220volt MIG can do up to 1/4" aluminum, while a 110volt machine really can't do aluminum at all.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Passport looks like the ticket , but I can't justify the fare at a grand more. My use time will be about 15 to 20 hours a year. Aluminum is one of the main reasons I plan to use it for, so I guess it is 220 volts. Thanks for the info, you saved me from wasting my money on a 120V. I can use my Bobcat to power the 220V in the field. Thanks Again, Mac Waneebe Weldor.

Reply to
Mac Maxwell

If aluminum is what you are after then why not make it even easier, and just buy a readywelder spoolgun. I adore mine.

I have run mine for every possible type and vintage of welding power supply.

Great little guns. Check ebay for online dealers and you can find them for under $400.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have a Hobart 110v 140 Amp machine. (It runs great on my 3000 watt generator too). The 140 manual says one can weld from 16ga. (0.60") up to 11 ga. (1/8") Alum w/100 percent Argon and 0.30 wire. Nothing thinner, nothing thicker. I have not tried it. The machine seems to have enough power (on 20 amp 110v outlet) to weld 3/16" steel plate okay (w/CO2). Admittedly, I have not tested any 3/16 coupons. Could be ineffective. Not much duty cycle there though, when 'wide open'. charlie

Reply to
charles

************ In the Hobart 140 manual, this welding of 3/16" steel with CO2, is not listed as within the machines range. Flux core does go up to 1/4" steel, with 0.35" wire .
Reply to
charles

Regarding the 1/4" steel, is there an asterix or something in the manual or the chart inside the door that says multi-pass required, or something to that effect?

I think you can do 6" plate if you wanted to with multi-pass.

Reply to
AL