PICTURE -- Big vs. small impact wrench

Steve, IIRC Joe makes a living working with this kind of stuff.

Hmm... Define "Makes a living" <grin>
It was more of a joke than a serious post although Bob Sapp is probably one of the scariest human beings on the face of the earth when it comes to raw strength and size. If there is a human who can conquer the larger tools without beinbg tossed around like a play thing, it's him. Of course, he probably doesn't have a minute of tool training in him so who knows...
V8013-R

I'm no pipsqueak, but this guy looks like he could frighten a 5" diameter bolt loose!!!

Yet a real pipsqueak could get the big bolt off there using the proper technique and tool. Sometimes big guys are plain vanilla dangerous.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Did you happen to see the "Dirty Jobs" episode in which one of the jobs was changing a tire on a heavy recovery vehicle? The motor pool sergeant weighed about half what the tire did (and she was kinda cute too) and had no trouble handling one. On the other hand, Mike Rowe, trying to do it by brute force and awfulness instead of by using the tools designed for the job, managed to drop one on a cameraman, who fortunately managed to avoid injury.
--John

I was a Teamster for 37 years. One of the favorite sayings was, "Give a lazy man a job, and they will find the quickest easiest way every time."
Steve
J. Clarke, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

I didn't see the show, but I have to weigh in here. A heavy recovery vehicle doesn't have tires, it has tracks. ;-)

And the Heavy Recovery Vehicle (M88A2) has a 1" hydraulic impact in its arsenal. The M88A1 was considered a Medium Recovery Vehicle. The M578 is a Light recovery vehicle and it has tracks too.
The 10-Ton HEMTT (Wrecker) could be considered a Heavy "Wheeled Vehicle" Recovery Vehicle and it does have large tires. The 900Series 5-Ton Wrecker would be a Medium/Light Wheeled Recovery Vehicle..
Only the M88, M88A1 and M88A2 have the 1" hydraulic impact wrench (which runs off the Little Joe APU). There is a lot of feedback to the operator with one of those. Been there, done that.
Anything else no-one wanted to know?
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA
Bill Smith wrote:

And that is IIRC the vehicle in question. The cameraman was _not_ a happy camper after the wheel and tire landed on him.

--John
2008 10:22:27 -0400, Bill Smith, snipped-for-privacy@wpia.net wrote:

Yup, M88's were exactly what I was thinking of. A2 version was well after my time. According to wikipedia A1 was also "Heavy" with only the original M88 being "Medium." Maybe wikipedia needs a "fix" on that point?
I was on the Service side of S&R and S&E platoons, so I rarely went out on recoveries.

Yup, those too. Even had the "opportunity" to help change some of those tires. My faded memories seem to include 3 guys to get those HEMMT tires off the rims. I'd have sure liked to see that episode of Dirty Jobs.

There's a couple of wikipedia pages that refreshed some memories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M88_Recovery_Vehicle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEMTT
Heh, ever seen an M88A1 try to drive on glare ice over cobblestones on a slope? Downright funny (though potentially quite dangerous).
Smitty
Somerset, PA

I think anyone who REALLY knows and understands tools will say, beef don't matter. And little guys can get just as much done or more by using their heads, leverage, and by using the tool properly.
It is common for a power tool to eat the lunch of even the beefiest operator when that operator doesn't use the tool properly, or tries to use muscle over technique. Many amputees will verify this fact of life.
There is no glory in someone being so burly as to use power tools in an unsafe and unintentioned way over the skinniest guy using it right and getting the job done and going home with all his fingers. If I had to work with either, give me the skinny safe operator rather than the beefcake showoff.
Steve

That is correct. When I was operating the 1" impact drives I was 22 years old and a heafty 125 lbs. dripping wet with sweat. I will say that the first time I looked at it I was very intemidated. One of the mechanics told me that if I can simply lift it I would have no problem after that. After grabing and holding on for dear life I was shocked at how little effort was actually required.

Yer right. My comments were just a general statement about power tools, and not any one in particular. But even if it's a simple pry bar, you have to admit someone who knows how to use it RIGHT will use less effort than some big Bubba who just uses force.
Steve

...You must have missed the part where I said it was more of a joke than a serious post, right? I'm not going to debate the issue when I wasn't putting myself in the position to defend it in the first place.
However, you are right. Technique and proper use / skill does mean a heck of a lot more than some or maybe even most people know.
V8013-R

We agree on that.

It doesn't have to be with a complicated tool, either. I knew that lesson from years of shovelling levees in rice fields, but I relearned it one summer working construction. I was told to remove the bottom three courses of a very hard concrete brick from the back of a building on which we were building an extension. The first day, it took several hours wailing with all my might with the sledgehammer just to make a hole (remember, young, 200# 6' and spent my previous summers shovelling, throwing fertilizer bags by the hundreds for the crop duster service). I got a few more out that day. The next, within 30 minutes I was removing each brick with three hits, and not using all my might but aiming better, and finished before quitting time.
Pete Keillor

Yeah. ;~)

Badder than the latest "Hulk"

Good for Joe. Citing some over sterioded wrestler/boxer/football player as an example of using power tools is a weak argument at best. I know there are all types of tools. I've worked with a lot of them. I know some are sweet to use, and have very little negative effects on the operator. And then I know some that will kick the living shit out of you.
BTW, I used to make a living using these things.
Steve
Without naming names,I think that many of us can benefit from reading the wikipedia article on impacts.
The torque applied to the bolt is the same, averaged over time, as the torque transmitted to the operator. The key is AVERAGED. The torque applied to bolts is HUGE but for short periods of time, and then zero for much longer periods etween blows. Because the impact is heavy, and is held in soft hands, the torque on operator hands is much more continuous and, on average, not that huge.
Example: forget impacts at all. Suppose that I pound a steel plate with a sledgehammer. The force on the plate may be equivalent to several tons, but it is very intermittent. Force that is acting on my body is much more continuous and is never more than a few dozen pounds of force.