PICTURE -- Big vs. small impact wrench

It doesn't have to be with a complicated tool, either. I knew that lesson from years of shovelling levees in rice fields, but I relearned it one summer working construction. I was told to remove the bottom three courses of a very hard concrete brick from the back of a building on which we were building an extension. The first day, it took several hours wailing with all my might with the sledgehammer just to make a hole (remember, young, 200# 6' and spent my previous summers shovelling, throwing fertilizer bags by the hundreds for the crop duster service). I got a few more out that day. The next, within 30 minutes I was removing each brick with three hits, and not using all my might but aiming better, and finished before quitting time.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

And the Heavy Recovery Vehicle (M88A2) has a 1" hydraulic impact in its arsenal. The M88A1 was considered a Medium Recovery Vehicle. The M578 is a Light recovery vehicle and it has tracks too.

The 10-Ton HEMTT (Wrecker) could be considered a Heavy "Wheeled Vehicle" Recovery Vehicle and it does have large tires. The 900Series 5-Ton Wrecker would be a Medium/Light Wheeled Recovery Vehicle..

Only the M88, M88A1 and M88A2 have the 1" hydraulic impact wrench (which runs off the Little Joe APU). There is a lot of feedback to the operator with one of those. Been there, done that.

Anything else no-one wanted to know?

Reply to
Bill Smith

And that is IIRC the vehicle in question. The cameraman was _not_ a happy camper after the wheel and tire landed on him.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yup, M88's were exactly what I was thinking of. A2 version was well after my time. According to wikipedia A1 was also "Heavy" with only the original M88 being "Medium." Maybe wikipedia needs a "fix" on that point?

I was on the Service side of S&R and S&E platoons, so I rarely went out on recoveries.

Yup, those too. Even had the "opportunity" to help change some of those tires. My faded memories seem to include 3 guys to get those HEMMT tires off the rims. I'd have sure liked to see that episode of Dirty Jobs.

There's a couple of wikipedia pages that refreshed some memories.

Heh, ever seen an M88A1 try to drive on glare ice over cobblestones on a slope? Downright funny (though potentially quite dangerous).

Reply to
Steve Ackman