Re: 5mm or 2.5mm cutting grinder discs?

i bought a narrow one and found out one the reason for the wide size: my grinder cant hold the narrow one tight enough.

i measured the discs accurately with a ruler and found they are actually 3.5(wide one) & 1.5(narrow one) mm wide

i mounted a narrow one this evening. lucky for me i checked the disc after mounting to see if it was firmly held in grinder.i found it could rotate with slight effort from my hand! i didnt try cutting with it as i imagined it would bind instantly.

Sam

hi there, > > i was using 5mm wide iron cutting discs for cutting bars so far but i > saw 2.5mm discs > in a shop which cost the same. > > wont a thinner disc cut metal bars faster and put less load on the > motor and less heat in the bar? > > why do they make 5mm cutting discs then? are they less prone to > blowing up than 2.5mm? or is it cause they have a longer life? > > same manufacturers(e.g. bosch,wurth) make both types, so what > applications is one supposed to be better than the other at? > > thanks, > S
Reply to
Sam

On many of the hand-held grinders, the metal ring that scresw onto the shaft & holds the abrasive wheel in place is reversible... Meaning that on one side it's flat, and the other side has a raised portion. Try turning it around, and see if it doesn't hold the thin abrasive wheel in a more firmly manner.

Rex S.

Reply to
Hawk

Reply to