Spot welding using Stick (or TIG) welder

Assuming one has a stick or TIG welder, can these be adopted to do spot welding ?
Am thinking about using this to spot weld bolsters, typically 1/8-1/4
thick pieces of 416 stainless to 440C/154CM/ATS-34 "knife steels".
Is it as simple as fashioning some kind of copper tongs setup ?
I am OK with some damage to the "exterior" of the bolsters as I can always grind it off.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Rashid

Spot welders are low voltage high amperage welders. So maybe 2 to 3 volts @ hundreds of volts. A stick or tig welder has too high voltage and too low amps. ERS