Spot welding using Stick (or TIG) welder

Spot welders are low voltage high amperage welders. So maybe 2 to 3 volts @ hundreds of volts. A stick or tig welder has too high voltage and too low amps. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Assuming one has a stick or TIG welder, can these be adopted to do spot welding ?

Am thinking about using this to spot weld bolsters, typically 1/8-1/4 thick pieces of

416 stainless to 440C/154CM/ATS-34 "knife steels".

Is it as simple as fashioning some kind of copper tongs setup ?

I am OK with some damage to the "exterior" of the bolsters as I can always grind it off.

Reply to
Rashid