syncrowave 180SD and higfreq.TIG starting.

reading tha owners manual on the new syncrowave180, and it does say it has 3 tig starting modes, soft , normal(default) and hars. it appears it is all high freq. , there is no mentioning about swithing to lift arc.

can someone confirm that the 180 has HF only ?

also I've read about HF harming or interfering with electronic equiptment.

how much of it is true ?

I have computers with in aprx 35 feet where the machine would be. telephone line and phone equptment and so on.....

if it is only an intermitent flicker of the screen , I don't mind but if it is messing with computer operation than it is a problem.

someone at the welding store told me it could change numbers in your work if you are working on a spreadsheet or other data on the computers, I did not buy this scenerio !!!

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

The older, non-digital syncrowaves had a dial for adjusting your high freq. intensity. That is all you are doing.

Yes HF only

Depends on how your shop/house is wired. When I TIG in the basement my housemates PC in the attic goes haywire. My Mac on the first floor has never been affected.

Usually it crashes the computer.

At least here it does.

There are HF power line filters you can add to protect stuff.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hey, Ernie .....how R you doing ??

Thanks for the reply, I hope you are doing better

well.....that is bad news about the HF I was just warming up to the idea of purchasing the syncro 180 but this may just swing the scale back to ---- now I am not sure what the heck to get !!!---- I love the function (HFstart ) but not what it does to other electronics.

I may have to look at other options, maybe go toward the maxstar (DC only) or look in to filtering HF , which sound as an unwanted expense. thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

"I hope you are doing better"

Reply to
bitternut

I have a full electronics shop above my metalworking shop. The

180SD hasn't fried anything, including very sensitive RF electronics, up there yet. Nor has it caused upsets to the shop computers. But then I am an electrical and electronics type by profession, know how to wire a shop correctly, and how to protect sensitive electronics correctly.

There's no magic, or esoteric techniques, required. Just good electrical and electronic practices.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

My 180 and my Aerowave are in a shop with computers all over, a new Dyno that has more computer packages than NASA and a oscilloscope & Data recorders on the work bench. Never had a problem even at full-tilt, It did make my cheap cordless phone ring on AC, I just got a better phone and the problem went away. Laptop also in the tool chest never burped while using the TIG also.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Looks like I need a little grounding on my 180SD - really the shop not the unit.

I used it in stick mode and used two sticks up - the Ground fault never threw. So it appears it is the RF unit when it flies it does the real RFI job.

More to test, little time to play.

Mart> My 180 and my Aerowave are in a shop with computers all over, a new Dyno

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

My 1999 180 SD will "confuse" my old (1982) Irritrol Sprinkler Controller which is about 15' from the welder. I suspect that if I bought a new controller that has better shielding I'd be ok. It's the RF that makes me have to reset the controller. If my wife's flowers and grass wilt she gets pissed, especially if it is my "Stupid Welding Thingy" which does it!!!! I love my Syncro, but it will goof the sprinklers up about 1/3 of the time I use the HF. HF bounces off everything and all metal is a receiver/antenna.

Gene

Gary Coffman wrote:

**>well.....that is bad news about the HF *>I was just warming up to the idea of purchasing the syncro 180 but *>this may just swing the scale back to ---- now I am not sure what the *>heck to get !!!---- *>I love the function (HFstart ) but not what it does to other *>electronics. * *I have a full electronics shop above my metalworking shop. The *180SD hasn't fried anything, including very sensitive RF electronics, *up there yet. Nor has it caused upsets to the shop computers. *But then I am an electrical and electronics type by profession, *know how to wire a shop correctly, and how to protect sensitive *electronics correctly. * *There's no magic, or esoteric techniques, required. Just good *electrical and electronic practices. * *Gary
Reply to
Gene Mettler

One thing that got me: I had the remote for my truck's alarm in my pocket running AC/HF continuous. Just a short run, maybe 1 minute. The remote was used up good. Took me about an hour to get the truck started, as I had to work around some of the alarm features. Happened again with the new one several months later--this time sitting on a bench several feet away. Not far enough, apparently. Not the keys stay in my locker.