This has gotten ridiculous!

The average employer sponsored family plan this year cost the employer and employee USD 13,400[*]. That works out to over USD 1,000/month.

Individual plans around USD 5,000, which is over USD 400 per month.

scott

[*]
Scott Lurndal

When my premium for BCBS of Fl. increased (June 09) to $9,924 ($2,500 deductible ) for my family of four, I decided to see what I could do. I found if I raised the deductible up to $10,000, the premium went down to $4,512 that is a $5,412 decrease in the premium. I opened up a Health savings account (HSA) that allows my to put $5,850 into a tax deductible account that can be used for medical expenses. The HSA is liberal in what it allows as medical expenses. It allows payment for dental and contacts. If I don't have any unusual expenses, I'll have the $10,000 in the account in less than three years. At retirement the money in the account can be converted to an IRA. I wish I had started this when the HSA's were first available. Disclaimer; Do your own research to verify the facts for your situation.

If I had a $10,000 claim it would cost me an additional $2,088 over what I would have paid with the $2,500 deductible. $10,000 - $2,500 - $5,412 = $2,088.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

"amdx" wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding:

In today's world a single diagnostic procedure may easily result in a $20K charge and MDs love to order them for their own protection.

A $100K hospital bill is not at all unusual.

You might wish to reconsider your options...

Reply to
RAM³

That $100,000 hospital bill will only cost an extra $2,088. And next year I have already covered that with last years savings. Yes It is possible I could come out on the losing side if something happened tomorrow. The odds of me losing the $2,088 are way, way less then the chances of me saving a good portion of the $5,412. What's your insurance situation? Mike PS. do you really understand the numbers I presented? Maybe I didn't explain it well, wouldn't be the first time. I

Reply to
amdx

Unless they decide to deny your claim because you didn't disclose that you had acne as a child...

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

I was in the hospital for eight days, two of that in ICU, following heart surgery. The bill was $93k. I thought that was top end. Are there other surgeries that cost more?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding:

Try looking at Cancer treatments...

FWIW, you may have been extremely fortunate in that it was only 2 days in ICU - it could have been longer AND they might have found a reason to take you "back in" for some reason.

BTW, you may, also, want to review Gunner's bill...

Reply to
RAM³

"amdx" wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding:

I have BCBS' "HMO Blue" for both SWMBO and myself (mine transitioned to "Medicare Supplement" on my 65th birthday) and Medicare (me only: she's too young ).

Since, as a retiree, I still get group rates through my former employer, my situation may well be quite different from yours. One of the reasons that I stayed with that outfit is/was the benefit package (health ins, pension, etc.).

Reply to
RAM³

I just talked with a fellow that spent 4 days in the hospital for an infection in a cut on his lower leg. The bill was over $15, 000. He has no insurance and lives pretty much off the books, so we get to pay the bill! Mike

Reply to
amdx

If this man is an American citizen, that is our duty and obligation. If we can spend $15 million on a new small truck stop on the Canadian border that's only a few years old and sees less than ten cars a day, I think we can do something to help our citizens. Or we could take that $15 million (times two, as there was another crossing they wanted to redo that sees less than TWO cars a day) and figure out some Liberty ship ideas to load up all the illegals and dump them close to their home country, each with a life vest, of course. Even if the man "lives pretty much off he books", he has more sway than a lowlife thieving illegal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Do you think we should make him sell his Harley Davidson? Mike

Reply to
amdx

Sorry, the damn sig is supposed to go on the end. Is there a way to put it there automatically instead of dragging it every time?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you're confused, it's voluntary. If you really want to learn, then here's a good place to start

are thousands of stories like that one, anyone can read as much as they can stand by simply googling "health care horror stories".

The fact is that until the hospitals, and particularly the emergency rooms collapse from the overload, they'll supply emergency treatment for the most pressing cases to the best of their ability. If everybody like you who prefers denial to reality lobbies hard enough, then you might be able to drag the current situation out a few more years. But one way or another, things have got to change big-time.

As for gummer, if you believe that he *ever* had insurance, then you need to report that symptom to your doctor. If you're "confused" about that as well, then ask gummer to detail his premiums. You might also ask him why, in a thread about high hospital bills, that he neglected to mention the $3 *million* that he has repeatedly claimed was spent on his wife.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

There are thousands of stories like that one, anyone can read as much

I see you are a fountain of some sort. I just haven't figured what that is that's coming out and spewing all over .......................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

wrote

WHOOSH (the sound of a joke passing through empty air space)

Reply to
SteveB

I take it that you aren't interested in any facts about health care, are going to stamp your feet and hold your breath when facts are stuck in your face, prefer instead your silly brand of proselytizing about "falderal", and will willfully continue your "confusion". What a shock. There's a good chance you'll live long enough to see the history of this period written. It will say that denial and procrastination were instrumental in exacerbating a woeful situation. No doubt you'll try to weasel-talk your way out of any personal responsibility, just like gummer. It doesn't matter to deadbeats like him

in the slightest that without reform rates are projected to double again
in his family has ever paid a nickel and they aren't about to start no matter what. But how do you and yours intend to pay?

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Most asinine thing I've read all day. Do you actually think about what you write, or does that bullshit spew automatically?

Reply to
rangerssuck

If only it was the most asinine thing he'd ever written...

I think his continued difficulty with the sig position is a cute metaphor for his entire shtick - the Usenet equivalent of driving down the road with the turn signal on. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE