Unimat lathe/milling

Has anyone used one of these? Worth looking at for a hobbyist?

Reply to
<pnightin

--The good news is you can always get parts; the bad news is it's made out of aluminum. If you're planning on scaling up anytime in the next few years you might want to look at something larger to begin with so you don't wind up buying two sets of accessories.

Reply to
steamer

Also doesn't do threading or power feeding without kinda pricey accessories.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I would look at the machines that are up one size like the Emco Compact 5. I've seen those go for around $400 on ebay. There is of course no limit to how big this can get, so you should think a bit about what size work you want to do. Also note that the rule of thumb is that you spend at least as much on tooling as you spend on the machine. Unless you find a set up from someones garage that includes all that stuff.

Reply to
lens