What is plasma?

Well...?
Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What is plasma? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Instead of a definition, here is an explanation, of sorts: As you raise the temperature of any material, the molecules become so energetic that they break apart, and eventually,when the temperature is high enough, even the atoms (ions) dissociate into electrons and protons. This broken-up gassy material is plasma.
So, if you take the liquid part of blood or milk, and get it very hot, you are changing plasma to plasma :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Some describe it as a fourth state of matter. Randy
What is plasma? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Instead of a definition, here is an explanation, of sorts: As you raise the temperature of any material, the molecules become so energetic that they break apart, and eventually,when the temperature is high enough, even the atoms (ions) dissociate into electrons and protons. This broken-up gassy material is plasma.
So, if you take the liquid part of blood or milk, and get it very hot, you are changing plasma to plasma :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dictionary.com delivers this :
Physics. An electrically neutral, highly ionized gas composed of ions, electrons, and neutral particles. It is a phase of matter distinct from solids, liquids, and normal gases.
Looks good to me - not solid, not liquid and not gas.
Hum - Earth, Sky, Fire - only one thing possible :
Must be fire stuff.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:01:41 -0700, "Desert Traveler"

Now it's five. Bose-Einstein condensates at the bottom end too.
BTW - a plasma isn't stripped into "electrons and protons". The electrons are stripped off, but the remainder is an atomic nucleus composed of protons and neutrons that are still bound together, and still retain their identitiy as different atom types (i.e. oxygen is still oxygen).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Dingley wrote: (clip) BTW - a plasma isn't stripped into "electrons and protons". The electrons are stripped off, but the remainder is an atomic nucleus composed of protons and neutrons that are still bound together, and still retain their identitiy as different atom types (i.e. oxygen is still oxygen). ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it called?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<Leo said...> I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it called? <end quote>
I just couldn't wait to use these recently discussed acronyms. AFAIK and IIRC, it's called fission when the nucleus breaks apart and it releases LOTS of energy in the process as the atoms drop down to their lowest energy state. So much energy that it causes a dangerous chain reaction that's difficult to stop until the fuel is spent. Fusion is a similar (opposite) reaction also used in bombs and may be the term I'm looking for.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Zorro wrote: > <Leo said...> > I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the > temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break > apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it > called? > <end quote> > > > I just couldn't wait to use these recently discussed acronyms. AFAIK and IIRC, > it's called fission when the nucleus breaks apart and it releases LOTS of energy > in the process as the atoms drop down to their lowest energy state. So much > energy that it causes a dangerous chain reaction that's difficult to stop until > the fuel is spent. Fusion is a similar (opposite) reaction also used in bombs > and may be the term I'm looking for.
Rod: What are you doing?! This thread was specifically for _YOU_! Those two are talking past each other, pay no mind. Now, you know knowledge is fun as you have said in the past. ;)
Rod Ryker... It is yadda, yadda, yadda.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Dingley wrote: > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:01:41 -0700, "Desert Traveler"
> > >>Aren't the four states of matter solid, liquid, gas, and plasma? When I >>learned this in the sixties, it was just the first three. > > > Now it's five. Bose-Einstein condensates at the bottom end too.
Rod: That's still only theory and doesn't count yet, unless we have indeed achieved 0 degrees Kelvin.
Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well - if - that big word.
Now listen up - think - Argon - 18 on the big chart. A noble gas if un-molested. Now since you say - if electrons - assume the outer shell :-) then - the next shell is full and it is again a noble - Neon. It is 10. Strip off another 8 - the outer shell and Another Noble - but less capable - He Helium which is now 2 on the chart. Strip off those two and wow are you in trouble! (strip one off not both - and you have Hydrogen, #1.
SO noble is noble does. ;-)
Martin
Rod Ryker wrote:

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
And naturally an unstable core, but we will leave that up to the student to solve. (Gosh, after all of these years I once again get to say those bone chilling words :-) ).
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Rod: LOL! :):):) He was joking buddy, that's all. :) Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You clipped that part of mine tease.
THe hole thing would never happen and stripping all off the outside shell - well you would have a real mess to clean up - a big boom of sorts. The atom would become so un-balanced one would never get along very far.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.