What is plasma?

Well...?

Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

What is plasma? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Instead of a definition, here is an explanation, of sorts: As you raise the temperature of any material, the molecules become so energetic that they break apart, and eventually,when the temperature is high enough, even the atoms (ions) dissociate into electrons and protons. This broken-up gassy material is plasma.

So, if you take the liquid part of blood or milk, and get it very hot, you are changing plasma to plasma :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

So, if you take the liquid part of blood or milk, and get it very hot, you are changing plasma to plasma :-)

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Dictionary.com delivers this :

Physics. An electrically neutral, highly ionized gas composed of ions, electrons, and neutral particles. It is a phase of matter distinct from solids, liquids, and normal gases.

Looks good to me - not solid, not liquid and not gas.

Hum - Earth, Sky, Fire - only one thing possible :

Must be fire stuff.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Now it's five. Bose-Einstein condensates at the bottom end too.

BTW - a plasma isn't stripped into "electrons and protons". The electrons are stripped off, but the remainder is an atomic nucleus composed of protons and neutrons that are still bound together, and still retain their identitiy as different atom types (i.e. oxygen is still oxygen).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote: (clip) BTW - a plasma isn't stripped into "electrons and protons". The electrons are stripped off, but the remainder is an atomic nucleus composed of protons and neutrons that are still bound together, and still retain their identitiy as different atom types (i.e. oxygen is still oxygen). ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it called?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it called?

I just couldn't wait to use these recently discussed acronyms. AFAIK and IIRC, it's called fission when the nucleus breaks apart and it releases LOTS of energy in the process as the atoms drop down to their lowest energy state. So much energy that it causes a dangerous chain reaction that's difficult to stop until the fuel is spent. Fusion is a similar (opposite) reaction also used in bombs and may be the term I'm looking for.

Reply to
Zorro

Zorro wrote: > > I'm not an atomic physicist, so I plead ignorance. I thought that as the > temperature of the plasma increases, the nuclei of the atoms also break > apart. If that is true, and you don't still call it plasma, then what is it > called? > >

Rod: What are you doing?! This thread was specifically for _YOU_! Those two are talking past each other, pay no mind. Now, you know knowledge is fun as you have said in the past. ;)

Rod Ryker... It is yadda, yadda, yadda.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

Andy Dingley wrote: > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:01:41 -0700, "Desert Traveler" > wrote: >

Rod: That's still only theory and doesn't count yet, unless we have indeed achieved 0 degrees Kelvin.

Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

Well - if - that big word.

Now listen up - think - Argon - 18 on the big chart. A noble gas if un-molested. Now since you say - if electrons - assume the outer shell :-) then - the next shell is full and it is again a noble - Neon. It is 10. Strip off another 8 - the outer shell and Another Noble - but less capable - He Helium which is now 2 on the chart. Strip off those two and wow are you in trouble! (strip one off not both - and you have Hydrogen, #1.

SO noble is noble does. ;-)

Mart>

Reply to
Eastburn

And naturally an unstable core, but we will leave that up to the student to solve. (Gosh, after all of these years I once again get to say those bone chilling words :-) ).

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Rod: LOL! :):):) He was joking buddy, that's all. :) Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

You clipped that part of mine tease.

THe hole thing would never happen and stripping all off the outside shell - well you would have a real mess to clean up - a big boom of sorts. The atom would become so un-balanced one would never get along very far.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn