Subject Author Posted Replies

Tapping hole in brass question
Hope someone can settle an argument: The part is a 1" long x 3/8" OD x 3/16" ID brass bushing that needs a 6-32 set screw. Tap drill goes all the way through both walls for convenience. Hand tap with...
14
14

Clausing 5914 Questions
I'm going to look at a Clausing 5914 being sold by a welding shop that is closing at yearend, and I'm looking for a list of issues to be aware of. The seller is an electrician and makes no claim to be...
25
25

Chips in the chuck
The scroll and jaws of the 3-jaw lathe chuck tend to get jammed with chips and require a rather tedious cleaning every few hours of use. Is there some trick to keeping the chips out?
11
11

Machinery FS in Oklahoma City
I'm trying to make some space and need to sell some machines that are duplicated. Emco Meier Maximat Standard Lathe (~9.5 X 28) with the vertical mill attachment (#2 Morse taper), 3 and 4-jaw chucks,...
1
1

DXF files
Perhaps the bend lines are on a layer that's not turned on or otherwise not visible in the viewer. The DXF is just a (huge) text file, and the format is public. With a little poking you should be able...
4
4

Clausing cross slide
I brought home a Clausing 1300 lathe (13" x 36") that has a somewhat peculiar cross slide. There is a main cross slide, with the normal power cross feed, but instead of a normal compound on top, the...
9
9

Nylon set screw in Al
Hello all, I am getting close to drilling the radial set screw holes we discussed. The goal is to grab a $25k instrument for an experimental setup. To start, I have a unit that fell off the assembly...
23
23

Larry Jaques -- pix of McMaster winch
Harbor Freight Truck Crane
3
3

here's an interesting design for a bandsaw blade guide
ran across this thing in a friend's garage, took a while to do some research, but if you follow the link below to the ebay auction, I have a link there to the relevant patent (you need to have the...
5
5

making babbitt question
Uncle is restoring a corn shucker for his cousin. The thing has babbitt bearings and he is a bit short of enough metal to re-babbitt it. I figured he could take some tin (we have about 5# between us)...
12
12

Tube swaing question
I've been away from the craft for way too long. Have a chance to play in a new project that will involve swaging one inch tubing - starting with prototypes, of course, then hopefully moving to high...
3
3

pre and post heat treatment for TIG welding
I've heard a number of experienced welders say that a TIG welded joint requires post heat treatment and recommend an OA torch to bring the joint up to a dull red and hold it for less than a minute and...
5
5

tire buffer?
A guy is parking his 1-ton flatbed dump truck at my house for a bit while he gets his affairs in order. He gave me a "bunch of junk" lying around in the cab & underbody boxes. In there was an old I-R...
3
3

Submit Your Tip! - $250 Award - "Machine Shop Trade Secrets"
I thought members of the designing/machining community might be interested in hearing about the $250 "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" Award presented by ProShop Publishing ... are currently accepting user...

OT: Database application
Alpha Five. I've been using it to reproduce and improve a bill of materials/purchasing app I built in a DOS database many years ago. I got more done in the first day with Alpha Five than I did...
25
25